Unanswered: National char set problem with php+Oracle8 (ORA-12704)

Hello,

Problem: ORA-12704 character set mismatch when I try to "insert" to NVARCHAR2.

The NLS_LANG is set on both ends as:
    FINNISH_FINLAND.WE8ISO8859P1

phpinfo shows that it's correct on the php side (although I remember reading on phpbuilder.com [didn't find it any more] last spring that the environment variable should be set before apache is started thus seeing it on phpinfo wouldn't guarantee anything. Back then it wasn't even set though [didn't show on the phpinfo]).

The admin of the oracle server reported having that same NLS_LANG value set. [Is there any way confirming this on the SQL> prompt btw?)

(Copy-paste) inserts to the SQL> prompt do function but the same insert through php does not.

If I use VARCHAR2, national characters get truncated ( -> d) and I'd like to avoid conversions to html.

If I add the n to the insert like N'Text' I get ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes; what does that n type of expression mean btw? (Where's that in the doc?)

I use php4 (and the older ora_ -functions) and the server is Oracle 8.0.5.

I don't seem to get rid of this problem. Please help if you have any hints.

--
    Janne

PS - Is there more conciese doc for oracle? The "verbal style" and logic isn't the most suitable for me 8)

thx for ur help

Unhappy

Hello,

thx for ur help

Problem: ORA-12704 character set mismatch when I try to "insert" to NVARCHAR2.

The NLS_LANG is set on both ends as:
    FINNISH_FINLAND.WE8ISO8859P1

phpinfo shows that it's correct on the php side (although I remember reading on phpbuilder.com [didn't find it any more] last spring that the environment variable should be set before apache is started thus seeing it on phpinfo wouldn't guarantee anything. Back then it wasn't even set though [didn't show on the phpinfo]).

The admin of the oracle server reported having that same NLS_LANG value set. [Is there any way confirming this on the SQL> prompt btw?)

(Copy-paste) inserts to the SQL> prompt do function but the same insert through php does not.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoBellman
    Is there any way confirming this on the SQL> prompt btw?
    select * from nls_session_parameters
    This sounds more like a php problem then.
    Are you sure that php supports a non-supported Oracle Version?