View Poll Results: What did you start with?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worked on databases (even designed new ones!)

5 20.00%
  • Studied the essential Database Concepts & Theories

9 36.00%
  • Played with databases on my own; then studied theory; then worked seriously on DB

11 44.00%
  • huh? Databases? what are these?

0 0%

Lightbulb What did you get first?

Just curious....I've seen that most developers start with handling actual databases first, and later learn the theories about Normal Forms, etc. etc.

What did you do first?

For the second company I worked for I was primarily developing small intranets in PHP and MS SQL 2000, and then creating/editing T-SQL Stored Procedures. I never fell into the trap of developing bad databases (e.g. my tables happened to end up in 3NF or BCNF) but I certainly didn't take advantage of really smart indexes (covering indexes, when to use clustered vs. nonclustered, etc.).

I was then bitten by the database bug and learned all I could about them, chained transactions, b+/b* trees, etc. -- now I learn all I can about Sybase (since I'm a DBA I should know those sorts of things ). I still re-read my DB theory books (normal forms, etc.) but as I said before, even without formal training I developed 'good' tables. They seemed to 'make sense' to me.. I guess there are two heads to that coin -- the people who develop tables with recursive dependancies and lots of data anomolies (e.g. really poor tables) and people who don't.
    Thanks,

Matt

Till now, all have voted for the "Played around, then studied, then worked" option.

Wonder nobody starts with the theory in first place...

Perhaps thats why their interest remains...