Unanswered: BCP - Unix vs Sybase character set error

BCP - after BCP is finished with no errors - I get the msg., some characters could not be converted, Server And Client character set may not be the same, therefore no data is saved in the Sybase Data base .
    There are English and French text. I'm having problems with the French text, some French text is accepted and some are not. When I import and save the data from Powerbuilder, the data gets saved in the Sybase database with some French character conversion errors.
    Last edited by imaystre; 12-28-01 at 08:56.

What character set do you have Sybase set to? You can execute a sp_helpsort to get the character set and sort order.

We have all our servers set to ISO_1 and I don't remember any issues with French (or German) characters on our servers.

Frank
    Content Manager Webmasters Resources
    www.serverexpert.com/ Help with servers and the software that they run.

Thank's for the info. My sybase server has the language set to ISO_1. But I still get the error messages when a french character is in the data.
    msg > some characters could not be converted, client and server character set are not the same.

Hmm. Do you know what character set/code page the Unix box is running? You might try the -J parameter on the BCP to tell it the client character set.

You might want to look at which character sets you have loaded in Sybase. On our servers we always load:

ascii_8
    bin_iso_1
    cp437
    cp850
    iso_1
    mac
    roman8

You can check what's loaded on your box by running:

select name
    from master..syscharsets
    order by name

Frank
    Content Manager Webmasters Resources
    www.serverexpert.com/ Help with servers and the software that they run.

thanks frank

the character set in sybase is the same as you described - 8 selections