Thread: Undo Security

Unanswered: Undo Security

I used the WorkGroup Wizard (wrkgadmin.exe) to secure a access database. Now I notice every access database I try to access requires a username and password. What did I do wrong, and how to I drop the security I created?

Thanks for any help.

run wrkgadm.exe and join a default workgroup (system.mdw) that doesn't have a security set up

Thanks for the help, Torgue, but that does not work. Any other suggestions?

I can only give you suggestions. I can't try it out myself because I avoid the built-in MS Access security.

What if you create a new workgroup .mdw file file and join that?

I usually avoid it as well. Anyways, I found the problem. The pc I was using had left-overs from a 97 install, and 4 versions of the system.mdw file in 4 different locations. Once I found the right one, I removed the one user I added, and set the Admin password to "". That got me back in, but I still can't explain why it put premissions on all the database. Maybe because I used the wrkgadm.exe instead of the User Level Security Wizard?

Glad you found a solution.

I don't use the security feature because all your databases go to the mdw file. If you have both secure, public and shared databases, this becomes a big mess.