Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 speed problems

Hi

I've written an app. in VB5 which uses ODBCdirect to access an SQL server database. All was running fine until I released it. The app. runs over an NT4 domain and there are usually about ten users on it at any one time. About a quarter of these users complain of very slow access times when querying or writing to the database, with the rest it's fine. It was also fine with my machine until my hard disk fried and I had to reinstall everything, now my PC which is a 1Ghz IBM PC6300 takes about five times as long to access the database as the other users 400Mhz machines. I'm running VB5 SP3 and SQL Server 2000 standard. Has anyone any ideas what the cause might be? Please if possible copy any reply to this forum post to slong@matrixfreight.com. Many thanks

Steve

Not sure and I have some question, like what type of load is on the SQL Server when this app is running? Are there any other apps running on that server?

What type of network speed is there between the computers and the server?

Also, is the VB code doing direct updates to the SQL Server or does it call stored procedures that perform updates.

Scooter McFly

Hi

The network setup is the same for all the clients, all use 10/100 cards and cat 5 cable connected to a switch, I've also tried moving PC's between network connections with no effect on the speed. The VB code updates the SQL server db directly. As the speed dropped dramatically on my PC after I did a clean install of Windows ME could it be that I need to run a service pack or something, the clients are using a combination of 98 and ME.

Thanks for your reply.

Steve

You didn't directly answer the question about stored proceedures. Used properly, those can save you a ton of performance, and are easy to code once you get the hang of it.

I don't use stored procedures in the app., maybe I should but that's not really the issue here. A good three quarters of all the users are adding and editing data at the speed that they and I are happy with, it's just the remaining clients including mine that are having problems. It's a connection problem I'm sure as enterprise manager running on my machine takes an absolute age to connect to the server. I read somewhere that there was a bug in MDAC that would cause a connection to be really slow and that the workaround was to edit the hosts file to point to the server. I tried that but it didn't work although the symptoms are exactly what I'm experiencing. As I've already mentioned I had no problems at all before with the connection speed until my hard disk died and I had to reinstall everything.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've finally sorted it out. I installed sp2 and now all the clients run at the same speed.