Unanswered: SQL Agent Connection in 2000

Hi guys,

While granting permissions to SQL Connection Account (SQLAgent properties->Connection->Use SQL Server Authentication it is returning an error called

Error 22002: RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access Denied'

But the user is having SQL Administrative privileges. It is returning same error for SA user too. FYI, Agent Service Account is Domain Account. Your answer is highly helpful.

Thnx
    Jagan

Does this account already have privlages to the SQL Server under the security/logins?

Scooter McFly

Yes. Even if I try to grant connection permissions to SA login account, it is raising same error.

OK then, I usually change the account info for the SQL Agent by going to the Services on the machine and double click on the MSSQLSERVER AND SQLSERVERAGENT; then change the account info there and you can browse to see the users in the domain. (That is for Win2K, it is similar for WinNT)

Is SQL running while you are trying to make the changes?

Scooter McFly

The problem is not with the service account. Problem is with SQL Connection. SQL Agent service is starting without any problem. The error is raising because of connection.

The service account that is used for the SQLAGENT is the same one that you are trying to change through the Enterprise Manager.

Also, the DOMAIN account that you are trying to run the SQLAGENT service under must also have privlages to that machine. You must add that account to the local machine, such as the admin group.

Are you physically at the machine, or can you get to the services for that machine to change the current account that it is running under?

Scooter McFly

I am not changing SQL Agent service account. Because, I dont have any problem stopping and starting SQL Agent service. I am having problem while granting permissions to SQL user under Agent properties->Connection->SQL User Authentication. If I grant to SA login also, it is raising the same error. I hope you have understood my problem.

Thanks
    Jagan

No, I didn't understand the question at hand. I apologize.

Can I ask why you want to change the way that the SQLSERVERAGENT connects to SQLSERVER?

Scooter McFly

Looking at the error you are recieving:

Error 22002: RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access Denied'

It doesn't look like an error because of the SQLAgent account you are using, it looks like the account that is trying to set this parameter does not have access to update the registry. Try logging into the workstation or server using Administrator and try it. NT Admin is a little much I know but there would be no question then if the same error occured.

A shot in the dark....

Actually, the reason why I need a SQL connection is to create multi server jobs and it is mandatory for my project.

Finally, I have restarted server and it woked fine. Now it is not giving any error if I grant SQL authentication user. I dont know the reason.

Anyway, thanks alot in helping all the time.