Unanswered: SP2 for SQL2000 missing setupsql.exe

I downloaded the 3 SP2 components from microsoft's website, extracted them all to the default recommended directory :
    C:\sql2ksp2
    Ran the setup.bat and it complains that
    x86\setup\setupsql.exe
    Is not there.
    I checked the x86 directory and all it had was a binn directory.

I gave up, and installed SP1 for now and it had plenty of subfolders in the x86 directory as opposed to just binn. SP1 installed without a problem.

Was my download of the SP2 corrupted at some point (the extraction gave no warnings), or was I meant to download one more file, or extract this over the SP1 install directory?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

There are three files that you downloaded; a MS SQL 2000 SP2, a Analysis Service SP2, and a MSDE SP2. If you extract the MS SQL 2000 SP2 to a dir, there should be setup files in it. You shouldn't be running the MSDE SP2 unless that is what you are using, same with Analysis Service.

Did you want to install all three onto one machine?

Scooter

Solved

I tried extracting the files on another machine and it worked fine.
    The extractor seems to have some kind of problem with target machine, it was short on VM, that could of been it?

At any rate, extracted the files on another machines, zipped them up, sent to target machine and unzipped.

Not sure about which of the 3 files we want to run, but our database manager has returned from holiday so I'm passing that problem onto him now.

Thanks

I have the exact same problem. I have downloaded the three files multiple times... no sqlmngr.exe comes with it.

I am going to download it to another machine, and unzip it over the network to the machine that is running sql..

Did you ever solve the problem?

Solution

It happened a long time ago now but from memory I think the download worked fine, it's just that you can't extract it over the network, or maybe you have to extract it on a win2000 machine not a winNT machine.
    The extractor's validation checker seems to be pretty worthless.