Unanswered: SQL Server connect problems

I have IIS4 and SQLServer7 on separate machines. When I try to configure DSN in ODBC Data Sources using Named Pipes, it gives following error:

[Named Pipes]ConnectionOpen(CreateFile()) Connection Failed;

When I configure it using TCP/IP, I can connect (Tested using the option thrown by ODBC configuration) but unfortunately ASP pages (which I am trying to run, are written by someone else and of-course are undocumented) throw following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNMPNTW]Specified SQL server not found

/includes/filename.asp, line 12

My connect string is as below:

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1; Data Source=SQL_SERVER; Persist Security Info=True; Initial Catalog=Contracts; User Id=u_id;PASSWORD=uid123

Not sure what's happening...Help is appreiciated.

thanks,
    Lalit Kolhe

if your ODBC (TCP/IP) connection works, why don't you use it as your connection string, instead of using OLE DB connection. Something like "DSN=your_dsn;UID=u_id;PWD=uid123;"

Edward

Somewhere in the server configuration (do not have server installed in the location I'm writing this message from) there is a dialog box where you tell what communication protocols are enabled on server side. Make sure that Named pipes are enabled. There is also Client network configuration utility. Look into it.

I am having somewhat of the same problem. I am trying to use SQL Server 7.0 on an XP Pro/IIS 5.x installation as well. The install seemed to go fine and I can register both a server group and a local SQL server.

However, when I try to connect to the SQL server Enterprise Manager throws, I get the following error message (without the Begin and End statements, of course... )

[Begin error message]
    A connection could not be established to <my XP machine name> - You must upgrade your SQL Enterprise Manager and SQL-DMO (SQLOLE) to SQL Server 2000 (SQLDMO) to connect to this server.

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties (by right-clicking on the <my XP machine name> node) and try again.
    [End error message]

Can anyone help me decipher exactly what it is the Enterprise Manager wants here and where I can download these components?

Any help/advice appreciated in advance.
    Last edited by dlrice; 11-20-03 at 14:07.

David - Is your SQL Server version 7 or 2000 (the actual server you are trying to connect to )? This error will happen when you have ss7 client tools but are connecting to ss2k server.

Lalit - Is SQL_Server the name of your sql server instance ? Also, what is the authentification that iis is using ?