Unanswered: Import Infomix dB to MySQL dB?

We currently have an old Informix dB on an aging UNIX SCO box. I want to take that data in import it to MySQL so I can create a web interface to access the data from a newer server. Has anyone had any experience doing something similar to this? How should I approach this? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

-Eric

Hi,
    I have also same problem but we are using windows NT o/s.pl
    let me know the solution if you got.

thanks,
    Nagesh Mandava.

I don't know anything about Informix, but I think you could probably do it with a csv file.

If you can export the data in your database to a csv file, I think you could probably import everything fine, depending on data type differences if any. This would require a manual table by table export and import.

You'd setup your database structure in mysql for each table, then import each csv coresponding to each table that you exported.

A Windows program that is a nice GUI administration program for mySQL has a way to import csv files in it that you might find useful.

http://www.anse.de/mysqlfront/

nmandava, you might also like this program, because it offers ODBC importing, which if Informix has an ODBC driver, you might be able to import the data that way.

Re: Import Infomix dB to MySQL dB?

Originally posted by grifterone
    We currently have an old Informix dB on an aging UNIX SCO box. I want to take that data in import it to MySQL so I can create a web interface to access the data from a newer server. Has anyone had any experience doing something similar to this? How should I approach this? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

-Eric
    Dear Eric,
    Not sure which version of informix you have, but with informix SE 7.2x that I am using on SCO 3.2v5.0.4 I can export data in any table to text file and then import the text file to mysql server.

please try process below:
    1- use dbaccess to export data to text file (use unload to statement, not output to)
    2- use ftp software to transfer the exported text file to the machine that run mysql server
    3- on msql database, create tables with the same columns as those of informix server
    4- either using mysqlfront utility or command line of mysql to import the text file into those tables
    5- DONE

I have done this many time since I am using informix on sco server and 2 mysql servers, one run on a windows machine, one on sco unix machine. Both run very OK.

Let me know if you could do

qha_vn

Have never worked with Informix but aren't there feature like dumping current databse when you get pure txt-file in which sql queries for restoring DB structure and data are written?

All you will need after getting such file is simply process it through MySQL server, which will read query by query and rebuilding your Informix DB.

I suppose there could appear some incompatibility in table types names, field properties, etc but that's easily could be avoided by search-and-replace using good text-files editor.

Just my two cents.
    Yours faithfully,
    Yaroslav Zaremba

Try ODBC Import using SQLyog at http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog Its not FREE though !

Re: Import Infomix dB to MySQL dB?

Greetings all,

Vaman Dataserver has a utility that can migrate data from anywhere to anywhere. Visit : www.vaman.net and download vaman data server. or click: http://www.vaman.net/vmndataserver.htm to download.

God is great but you should not be late.

QUOTE]Originally posted by grifterone

Thanks!!!

-Eric
    [/QUOTE

Develop a definition in MySQL to import Data from Informix-4gl

[QUOTE=grifterone]We currently have an old Informix dB on an aging UNIX SCO box. I want to take that data in import it to MySQL so I can create a web interface to access the data from a newer server. Has anyone had any experience doing something similar to this? How should I approach this? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I am also interested in creating a web interface to develop a definition to transfer data from the SCO UNIX-Informix 4gl into MYSQL. We also recently
    migrated from Informix to MYSQL and we have this huge task of transfering some of our financial data to MYSQL environment. Is it possible to import an Informix-4gl program into MYSQL and modify the syntax and run it there ?

I certainly need your help.

Felix Mwango Mutale
    University of Zambia
    Computer Centre

Hi! I Have The Same Problem, I Want To Export Some Tables From An Informix Db Into Mysql Db, Is There Any Other Tool For Pumping Data Into A New Db Like Delphi Data Pump??
    Please, Any Other Option!!!??