Unanswered: Compaq to HP migration

Are datafiles compatible between HP-UX (vxfs) and Compaq/DEC (ufs)? I about to take on a migration of PeopleSoft from a Compaq to an HP and would like to just 'copy' the database over and bring it up...of course, installing the correct HP-UX version of the Oracle binaries first (8.1.6). I'd like to avoid the export/import route.

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

In my experience datafiles are os-dependant, so you can't move them between different platforms...
    You can always do a full import/export or use command like 'COPY' in SQL*Plus.

Hope this helps,
    astropp

astropp is correct. The files are not even compatible on the same platform unless you create a 'transportable tablespace'. Even this requires the block size remain the same on both databases (at least prior to 9i). On a different platform, the only option is to do a logical export/import.

Hi,

Astropp is right. You cna't copy the files across. I would not use the SQLPlus copy command as this might truncate some of your long columns.
    An alternative to using exp/imp is of course using PeopleSoft datamover.

Ben

Hmmm. Well, I'm getting some mixed responses from other research I've done. It looks like the structure of the datafiles is the same for most UNIX vendors, but the control files need to be re-created. Any thoughts? Also, I was mistaken on the filesystem types. The datafiles are sitting on a NetApp filer and mounted via NFS, which would be the same between the HP and DEC servers.

Confused and not wanting to do a 200GB DB export/import,
    Steve

I wonder what the official Oracle response would be. Even if it's possible, I'd bet it's not supported.

I guess the only way to find out is try it.

Paul,

Datafiles can be copied on the same platform, that should give no problems. I even think a different OS blocksize won't matter much, as long as the os blocks aren't bigger than the Oracle blocks.
    Just a few os-block-dependant init.ora parameters might need adjusting.

Cross-platform copying of a database won't work for nt-unix or similar differences. Copying between different unix platforms: i don't think it will work... but trying is the only way to find out. I'm almost 100% sure it's not supported.

Ruud
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders

Ruud, thanks for the feedback. It is definitely not supported by Oracle (I called in a TAR), but that doesn't mean much (to me). Oracle is notorious for throwing logic out the door in the name of 'procedures'. I'm still going to try it and post my findings here.

Block sizes from the OS/filesystem side don't matter at all (larger or smaller). This I know for a fact. From a performance aspect, obviously you don't want the filesystem block size smaller than the DB block size, but larger isn't necessarily worse. I've changed many a filesystem type, size, stripe, etc. and just copied datafiles from old to new...never a problem. The only issue would be the internal header structure in the datafiles and whether they are OS specific. I'll find out soon...

Steve