Totally Off Topic... but hey :)

Hi all, ok this question is totally offtopic, however if anyone can help me.. its likely to be someone who frequents this board...

I run a small network of machines with a Win2k Server, serving 4 Win2k Clients,

Ok, I want to setup a mail server (eg using a program such as Ms Exchange Server).

This is what I want to do and im not sure if its possible.

1) I want the mail server to get all mail and store it forever.
    2) I want all clients to have access to this mail (regardless if one machine has already downloaded the latest batch).

Whats the quickest way to get this setup. I've tried exchange and think its just too damm complex and resource hungry. I've seen some other nice progs about like FGate and MDaemon.

Please help.. Thanks!

Hi etones,

If I understand you corectly, that should be easy. The thing to be aware of is it is usually the client that controls whether mail gets deleted, not the server.

An IMAP server may be the best option. With this setup, you can still treat it as a POP3 server if you wish by downloading the mail, but leaving a copy on the server, or you can actually manipulate the mail and create folders from the client without ever downloading it. This way the mail will be organized the same way whichever machine or client you use.

Or you can try Domino server and Lotus Notes. This will probably be as bad Exchange though.

I have a similar setup to allow me to access my mail with any client wherever I am. I use DMAIL from http://netwinsite.com/

Hi Paul, cheers for the link and reply.

I was wondering if it was possible to store all mail on the server, the client machines simply browse the mail stored on the server.

If not, no problem.

I'll go try dmail, cheers again m8!

Hi m8, ok i've got dmail installed on my system, as far as I can see all documenation is for unix/linux systems, not a problem... except im running on win2k

how do I go about getting the server to download mail from an external mail server ready for clients to grab?

Chers man
    Regards, taz.

was wondering if it was possible to store all mail on the server, the client machines simply browse the mail stored on the server.
    IMAP allows that. To the email client, it works just as if the mail and folders were on your local machine. You can add, delete, save drafts etc as normal.
    how do I go about getting the server to download mail from an external mail server ready for clients to grab?
    Ah... I forgot that little problem

The way I do it is have fetchmail running on my unix box that polls all my different mail accounts and delivers them to the dmail server on my windows machine. Then I just use IMAP from wherever I am to connect the single account on dmail.

Without a unix machine, I'm not sure how to do it. I remember seeing a windows mail server that polled the other accounts for you, but that didn't include an IMAP server. What you need is windows utility like fetchmail. Cygwin might run it, but that's not really the cleanest solution.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find a mail server that includes the polling function.

Sorry for missing that important gotcha.

Cheers m8, much appreciated. I've been lokking todo this for months now, but could find any help on how todo it

Thanks again.