Unanswered: newbie needs help with missing mysql_config?

I have been looking through a lot of docs, but I still can't figure this one out, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to install the DBD mySQL module and when I perl Makefile.PL I get:

Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 168.
    readline() on closed filehandle main::PIPE at Makefile.PL line 170.
    leigh honeybee: Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 168.

Failed to determine directory of mysql.h. Use

perl Makefile.PL --cflags=-I<dir>

to set this directory. For details see the INSTALL.html file,
    section "C Compiler flags" or type

perl Makefile.PL --help

can someone point me to a doc or tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks a lot!

What OS are you running?

I know ActiveState makes a binary of Perl for Linux, and they would have the DBI, and mySQL DBD modules in a binary form that you can install through the PPM, which goes out, downloads and installs it all for you, no compiling on your part.

Also, if you are running BSD, they have the DBD-mysql in the ports tree. It's listed under the database directory as p5-DBD-mysql.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the issue you have. I don't know a whole lot about building perl modules from source, or for that matter, compiling things.

cpuweb, thanks for the reply.

i am running linux. i searched on the web for examples of this missing file so i can replace it, but it looks like the cleanest/smartest thing to do is to reinstall mysql?