Post Unanswered: MS Access limitations

We are currently fixing to rewrite a point-of-sale and inventory software package. I am wanting to drop a couple of questions. We have been thinking of using ACCESS as our DB and possibly (My SQL). I believe this is not a good idea. We have talked about USing VB to write the GUI screens. Of course there has been a flip flop to using PERL and MY SQL.
    The current software is written in BASIC. With most of clients running UNIX servers, which is very stable.

The enduser we are working with are very cost conscious. We are working with different sizes of customers. From single to just a couple of PC's to customers with 20-25 PC's.

I am just worried if we attempt to undertake this that it become to large for ACCESS. For example, we have to incorporate large price files from the vendors. One in particular is 1 million records.

Does that pose a problem.
    Anyone really know.

Thumbs down

Hi, we used Access database a couple of yrs ago for our billing system and it was fine to about 50k records in each table. After that, things started to go Pete Tong - new records written over old ones, corrupt indices etc. So we moved our tables to sql server but still use Access for user interface. Now tables are over 1M records no probs.

I agree. Although I usually don't have any problems in Access with >200k records, but 1 million is too risky.

Tell your customer that saving money by using a cheap db solution will cost them in the long run. I would not use a mySQL db, but use the solution suggested by CHill, Microsoft SQL server with an Access front end.

I would consider Visual FoxPro.