Question Just a bit embarrasing...

I am no stranger to computers but am an absolute newbie to VB6 which I have just installed and I'm in the midst of teaching myself with the aid of some books on the subject.

I cannot access the help section of the programme. Every time I press "Help" or the F1 key i get a pop-up message saying "MSDN Collection Does Not Exist" "Please re-install". I have serched the cdrom for MSDN or anything that looks like it without success. What the devil are they talking about?

Hi,

The Help for Visual Studio & Microsoft languages in general (VB,VC++,etc.) comes in the form a separate collection - MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network). You can access the site directly & check out the subscriptions & the full content (its all free at the site): http://msdn.microsoft.com

PS: nothing to be embarrased about...

Thank you for your reply Manish... much appreciated

Regards.

We all do things that we are embarassed about, but that should not be one of them, you just were having a hard time with the CD-Rom.

I once forgot what the formatting toolbar was, call me a dope, I spent 30 minutes looking for it

The CD comes as part of the book I am using and I suspec that the programme has probably been cut down to make room. I went to the MSDN site that mannish suggested and although there is a tremendous amount of information there does not be a specific link to VB. I have had to resort to opening the Help file within the VB programme folder and when I need to look up something I swap to it with Alt/Tab. The book I am using says that the Help is contect sensitive so that if I am in a situation all I have to do is press F1 and the help for that section will appear but this does not happen... I get the message that MSDN Collection does not exist. It is not hindering the learning process, it just takes longer to sort problems out which is a bit irritating.

I thank you all for your help and suggestions.