Thread: Text Editor?

Post Unanswered: Text Editor?

I'm trying to debug an application written in Filemaker 5. Because this application uses 12 Filemaker databases, over 400 fields and almost 1000 scripts, I'm finding it difficult to find common references throughout the scripts.

Is there a plug-in that I can use to export all of the scripts into a text editor in order to search for variables?

Is there another way to search for variables, field names, etc. within fields or scripts?

Lastly, is there a way to find out what script is populating a particular field if that field is only defined as a text field?

Is there a plug-in that I can use to export all of the scripts into a text editor in order to search for variables?

>>> If you simply print the database, but in the print dialog, at the top choose <Script Definitions for>.....
    >>> I'm sure if you print to file, then it can be extracted to a text editor.

>>> there may also be a command within the scripter to do this also....check the Help Pages.

Printing Scripts

You could also use Adobe Acrobat Writer. When you 'Print' the scripts using the Adobe Acrobat Writer, you can then open the PDF file and perform text searches within the PDFs.

Depending on your budget, there is a developer tool called 'analyzer' from waves-in-motion. I have not seen it work, but read reviews of it. Basically it exports your scripts, field definations and relationships into a text file. It can also print reports that describe what fields are used in what scripts, etc.

You can find it at http://wmotion.com/developer.html

Cool Thanks

Thank you all for the responses. I have actually purchased FileMaker Developer 5.5 and may in the future purchase Waves in Motion Analyzer. However, for now, the Developer has helped immensely.

Thank you all for your responses.

Jonathan