Unanswered: Converting a FoxBase+ 2.10 program

This is my first time posting a message in dbforums and I hope that someone out there can help me with this question!

About 10 years ago I started to develop a rather large program using FoxBase+ 2.10. Even to this day many thousands of people are still using it. Even though it is a dos-based program it seems to run ok under Win XP. However....

I have had many requests asking if I would come out with a Windows version of my program. Instead of having to start from scratch I wonder if there are any conversion programs out there that would take my code and port it to a Windows verson. I do happen to have the Enterprise edition of Visual Studio 6.0 that comes with Visual FoxPro 6.0. I seemed to have read that an earlier version of FoxPro may have had some conversion utility...I don't know for sure.

I guess what I am asking for is whether or not what I want is feasible or whether I would have to start from the ground up coding in a Windows db language such a Visual FoxPro.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Ron Andersen
    ronandersen@juno.com

Since VFP supports OOP, and FoxBase doesn't my advice is to re-design your system in VFP from the ground up. This is the way I took when I converted FoxPro 2.5 DOS application to VFP 5.0. It paid itself several times.

HTH

What is OOP?

thanks,
    LA

OOP is abbreviation for Object Oriented Programming.

Hello,

I think we are in the same shoes. I have a task to migrate FoxBase+ 2.01 database to Web Database MySQL. I am familiar with MySQL and PHP applications, but not FoxBase+.

When I looked at FoxBase+ program, it is really like DOS program, which I experienced almost 15 years ago. In order to pick up FoxBase+ quickly, I need a user guild or manual. If you have one, could you send me a copy or direct me to public link? Your help will be highly appreciated. Thanks again.

I would like to give you a hand If I could help you in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Andersen
    This is my first time posting a message in dbforums and I hope that someone out there can help me with this question!

About 10 years ago I started to develop a rather large program using FoxBase+ 2.10. Even to this day many thousands of people are still using it. Even though it is a dos-based program it seems to run ok under Win XP. However....

I have had many requests asking if I would come out with a Windows version of my program. Instead of having to start from scratch I wonder if there are any conversion programs out there that would take my code and port it to a Windows verson. I do happen to have the Enterprise edition of Visual Studio 6.0 that comes with Visual FoxPro 6.0. I seemed to have read that an earlier version of FoxPro may have had some conversion utility...I don't know for sure.

I guess what I am asking for is whether or not what I want is feasible or whether I would have to start from the ground up coding in a Windows db language such a Visual FoxPro.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Ron Andersen
    ronandersen@juno.com