Post Unanswered: Database crashing - need to find version / type

I took on the task of converting some clients computer system from old Pentiums with Win98 to Screaming machines with 2000Pro.

The problem is their main program (which is supposed to be all windows compatible) appears to be using an outdated database format.

The files are in .dbf format. They run the program on two machines. One machine is the master and has the program installed. The second machine is the slave machine and runs the program across the network (5 feet away - peer to peer - 10 base T). When both machines try to access the database at the exact same time the slave machine becomes sluggish and the master machine generates record lock errors.

My hypothesis is that the database is Foxbase version 2.6 which has many problems running on Windows 2000? and has sluggish problems? and has record locking problems?

The software vendor denies that his product was created in this format. Is there any way I can find out?

Also, the dbf file has 26,000 records. If I cut this in half can I reduce my record locking problem?

May be FoxPro for Windows?

Re: Database crashing - need to find version / type

Originally posted by wfcentral
    I took on the task of converting some clients computer system from old Pentiums with Win98 to Screaming machines with 2000Pro.

The problem is their main program (which is supposed to be all windows compatible) appears to be using an outdated database format.

The files are in .dbf format. They run the program on two machines. One machine is the master and has the program installed. The second machine is the slave machine and runs the program across the network (5 feet away - peer to peer - 10 base T). When both machines try to access the database at the exact same time the slave machine becomes sluggish and the master machine generates record lock errors.

My hypothesis is that the database is Foxbase version 2.6 which has many problems running on Windows 2000? and has sluggish problems? and has record locking problems?

The software vendor denies that his product was created in this format. Is there any way I can find out?

Also, the dbf file has 26,000 records. If I cut this in half can I reduce my record locking problem?
    THE SLAVE MACHINE USER HAVE ENOUGH RIGHTS?
    ARE YOU RELEASING THE LOCKS?
    I THINK IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU REDUCE THE DBF TO THE HALF, WHAT MATTERS IS A CONCURRENCY PROBLEM TO THE SAME RECORDS.
    HOPE IT HELP YOU

Database crashing

if the exe file is a DOS file, it could be clipper. the file size of 26,000 records should not be a problem for clipper, i have one file with 1.5 million records that i can retreive records from in about 2 seconds. rebuilding index files is another story.

if you look in the data directory at the index files, are they *.ntx, *.idx, or perhaps *.cdx?