Unanswered: Migrating from Oracle 8.0.6 on HPUX to Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux

Hi,

We are migrating from Oracle 8.0.6 on HPUX to Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux.
    What kind of changes would be required ? Would there be any problems ? How does one go about this upgrade ? I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance!
    Amit

Hello...

You are involved in my opinion in two main issues:
    the first is changing the platform, the second is migrating the release of oracle.

Since you need to change platform the fastest way to do this is to create an empty database on your target platform,create on the new machine all the application schemas with the correct grants copying them from the old, export all your application schemas from the old machine and import in the new using fromuser-touser clauses.
    This usually works for me when I move old legacy applications from nt machines to new *nix environments.

The second issue is about the migration from 8.0 to 8i: in this way we actually do not upgrade the database, just import data from different releases. So, at the data level there is no problem.
    I never noticed particular issues in passing from 8.0 to 8i, however in my experience the main point to check is the way the application uses the database. If your application is a client-server that connects via ODBC it's better to consider upgrading the oracle client on the client machines also, this may be a point to take care of.

hope this helps,
    astropp
    astropp

Thanks for your reply. Actually we are using the Netscape Application
    Server 4.0 to connect to Oracle using the OCI driver. So in your opinion
    for the migration we would just have to export the schema objects and then import it in the target database on a user to user basis and then the data.

Is their any tool which we can use for this ?

And like are they going to be any performance issues arising out of
    migrating to a linux platform from HPUX?

Thanks again,
    Amit

Question migration from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7

i am preparing to migrate from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7 oracle on HP-Unix. since i am new to this i am looking for some resources and any suggestions to look for for......
    TIA
    manju