Exclamation Unanswered: "No Listener" occurs randomly. Need to restart client.

Hi,

Roughly once a day, I get error:
    ORA-12541: TNS: No listener
    I have to restart my work station to connect to my DB server again. After a restart, I can reconnect to the db many times, but all of a sudden, the error occurs again.
    The listener on the DB server is up an running all the time. The DB server is NT4, my work station and office network is W2K.
    Any idea how to get around this problem?
    Seems like a Windows-Oracle problem to me.

/NK

PS I can always tnsping the db server from my client.
    Last edited by nisso; 02-14-02 at 04:37.

tns error???

hi,
    your database server is configured to be dedicate/pre spawned or MTS ....????

regards
    Kaushik

Since upgrading to Oracle 8/8i we have been experiencing regularly crashing TNS listeners. To avoid user downtime we have implemented a dual listener setup in which one listener serves as a failover for the other one.

We are experiencing the same problem using Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat.
    We may try your suggestion patvdv.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this would occur in the first place?

Thanks.

Wink Listener crash

I think, TNSPING will still work even if the listener crashed.

Listener crash - problem I faced

I had kind of similar situation in W2K Workstation after upgrading my OS (applied some security & critical patches). I was using Ora 8.1.7.3 version. Tried upgrading to 8.1.7.4, the problem persisted the same.

Problem that I experienced was, the Oracle Listener will work for 1 minute exactly and will die after that. But TNSPING was working correct.

Then I turned on tracing to analyze the problem and found out that the MTS_DISPATCHERS parameter was causing problem. Since my server was setup as dedicated server the MTS parameter caused the listener crash.

After I commented out the above parameter, when I restarted the services listener worked fine.

I'm not sure whether this will help you. If it can have fun.

Thanks.