Post Unanswered: Is PHP the right choice for this task

Hi All

I am a self confessed newbie. I know little of databases and nothing about PHP, although I am pretty good with HTML and Javascript.

My question is this:

Someone asked me about making a database which must support the features I have listed at the end of this post. They also wanted something that was user friendly and easy to access. Recently I have been wanting to expand my level of knowledge to include PHP and MySQL. So I thought this could be a good opportunity to learn it. Problem is I don't even know if PHP is suitable for this kind of thing.

Is it possible using PHP to create an attractive user interface that would let users perform the prerequisite functions? I know PHP is a scripting language so perhaps it is not rich enough do these things. I just thought being able to access a DB through the web would be very useful.

In summary, should I be using PHP for this or would some other programming language be better suited?

Many thanks, Ben

-----------------------
    requirements for database:

1/ Input function : add, revise, delete, search by keyword, turn page

2/ Search function : Besides search by key words, search can also be done on multi-conditions, and the number of records conforming to the conditions will be given. The results will be displayed in the way as requested. The data will be classified according to input of multiple subjects and the classified results will be saved in the database.

3/ Output function : What is searched can be saved either on the hard or floppy disk as desired in the form of text, database or HTML.

4/ Print function : print data of selected member(s), print what is searched in the form of list/table.

5/ Import/Export function

6/ Backup function

7/ User friendly

Hi,

i'll go through each of the points, and tell you what can be done :-)

1/ Input function : add, revise, delete, search by keyword, turn page
    Doing these things with a database is simple using php providing you know it

2/ Search function : Besides search by key words, search can also be done on multi-conditions, and the number of records conforming to the conditions will be given. The results will be displayed in the way as requested. The data will be classified according to input of multiple subjects and the classified results will be saved in the database.
    Again, this is reasonably acheavable with PHP (bad spelling, i know)

3/ Output function : What is searched can be saved either on the hard or floppy disk as desired in the form of text, database or HTML.
    not sure what you mean - to whos hard drive? as a zip file? if so, thats possible

4/ Print function : print data of selected member(s), print what is searched in the form of list/table.
    Print to the screen? simple

5/ Import/Export function
    Simple

6/ Backup function
    Simple

7/ User friendly
    However you make it is how user-friendly it is, it will still require html design

~Alex

I agree with Alex on the design as well. The way your site looks does not depend on PHP at all, you are still using HTML to make the page look the way it looks, it's just that now its within a PHP file. All of your prereq's seem reasonable for PHP to handle.

Jeremy

Thumbs up Paste your link

A good reasson for use PHP it's the code open, you can do what you want, just recompileit and share your modifications