How should I design this?

Hi All

I am a self confessed newbie and know little of databases. I have read a little on Database design and have had a preliminary play with MySQL.

My question is this:

Someone asked me about making a database which must support the features I have listed at the end of this post. They also wanted something that was user friendly and easy to access.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to begin. I take it that there are two parts to this task. The first would be to select and design a suitable database. The second would be to design a front end application to interact with the database.

Given the database requirements what would be the best choice for a front end? I thought using PHP might be good, as the user can access the database from the web. But then I thought "PHP is just a scripting language so it probably would not be good for this kind of DB". Is this assumption correct? What would others recommend as the best Database + Frontend combination?

Many thanks, Ben

-----------------------
    requirements for database:

1/ Input function : add, revise, delete, search by keyword, turn page

2/ Search function : Besides search by key words, search can also be done on multi-conditions, and the number of records conforming to the conditions will be given. The results will be displayed in the way as requested. The data will be classified according to input of multiple subjects and the classified results will be saved in the database.

3/ Output function : What is searched can be saved either on the hard or floppy disk as desired in the form of text, database or HTML.

4/ Print function : print data of selected member(s), print what is searched in the form of list/table.

5/ Import/Export function

6/ Backup function

7/ User friendly

PHP is not just a scripting language, but a powerful tool for many more arenas of applications. Perl is equily good and may be more powerful when it comes to searching for data. Finally, you can even use goody C++ for the job (use it as a CGI program when you want to run it from the web).

Backend: PostgreSQL or mySQL is fine, depending upon your requirements.

I guess PHP+mySQL has been the most popular for dealing with databases in recent times for opensource apps. And yes, there's a great deal of PHP support for this at www.phpbuilder.com , so you can always get quick answers in case you are stuck somewhere.

btw, did I mention that if you have a C++ background, it would be easy to find a mySQL DB Library for use with your normal C++ program and you can then use CGI to interface it with the web.

You can use Visual FoxPro.

MS Access could be an good idea to..
    - Jonte

Please to also consider Visual DBase.

Best Regards.

DB

I think Oracle is the best choice as a backend and Developers 2000,
    or VB as a frontend would be best one...