Unanswered: jdbc problem: failUTF8Conv

Hallo All!

When Querying one of my tables with JDBC (Oracle9i, classes12.jar, SuSE Linux 7.3, thin-driver) an SQLException (failUTF8Conv) is thrown on me.
    The rows in question contain Strings with German special characters (δόφ and the like). Selects on dictionary views work wonderfully - but they don't contain non ASCII characters.
    The JDBC developer's guide tells me that the error message is ORA-17037, but gives no hint how to prevent this. Intensive search with google and other search engines could not help either.

I would be glad if anybody could provide me with a hint to that problem.

Martin Bach

PS
    NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
    ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

Re: jdbc problem: failUTF8Conv

Hi Martin

I am facing same problem. Did you find any solution?

Thanks

JJ

Originally posted by martinbach
    Hallo All!

When Querying one of my tables with JDBC (Oracle9i, classes12.jar, SuSE Linux 7.3, thin-driver) an SQLException (failUTF8Conv) is thrown on me.
    The rows in question contain Strings with German special characters (δόφ and the like). Selects on dictionary views work wonderfully - but they don't contain non ASCII characters.
    The JDBC developer's guide tells me that the error message is ORA-17037, but gives no hint how to prevent this. Intensive search with google and other search engines could not help either.

I would be glad if anybody could provide me with a hint to that problem.

Martin Bach

PS
    NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
    ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

Hi,

i sometimes meet this problem to,
    even there might be a lot of problems (and BUGs), I'd suggest to check if there is crap stored within the database:
    If a non-UTF8 character is stored in any way in the database, the jdbc-driver can't convert it to a valid UCS2-character and fails.
    I use SELECT dump(column,16), column FROM TABLE WHERE ... to check, if there is a non-utf8 character stored in column. (about the disctinction between UTF8, UCS2 and UNICODE there are several good articles available in MetaLink and WEB)

kr
    Martin
    ^/\x

JDBC Oracle

You might try Progress DataDirect's Type 5 JDBC driver for Oracle. You can find out more info and download a free trial from here: JDBC Oracle - Progress DataDirect