Unanswered: SQL Server does not exist or access denied? - **(Resolved)**

Hi,

I am attempting to register a new SQL Server via Enterprise Manager in SQL Server 2000. Only the client tools are installed. I am using Windows XP Professional.

When I attempt to do this, I receive the following error message:
    "SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

I have tried pinging both my Computer Name and IP Address and both seem to ping ok. I can also surf to my default web site which sits on the Computer Name and IP Address.

One thing is that if I type in http://localhost I get a 404 Page Not Found error.

If anybody has any ideas as to why I can't register my SQL Server I would be most grateful if you could post

I am at a complete loss and this is urgent

Many thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by csf; 03-01-02 at 11:54.

My understanding is that you have the client utilities for SQL Server installed on your desktop (XP) and you wish to register a SQL Server in Enterprise Manager and that the machine run SQL Server is a different machine. You can see (ping) this machine from your desktop (XP) but can not register SQL Server (server not found).

Check that you have TCP/IP as an enabled protocol, use the Client Network Utility that comes with client tools for SQL. If it is not then add it. If you still get the problem, (which I have as well) create an alias to the server that has SQL running, using the same tool. Make sure that you choose TCP/IP as the network protocol. Basically forcing the protocol to by TCP/IP.

Originally posted by achorozy
    My understanding is that you have the client utilities for SQL Server installed on your desktop (XP) and you wish to register a SQL Server in Enterprise Manager and that the machine run SQL Server is a different machine.
    Thanks for the reply

One thing I didn't make clear before is that I only have one machine, the one which I installed the Client Utilities on and this is the machine I am attempting to register in Enterprise Manager.

The strange thing is I had this working in Windows 2000. I am at a complete loss!

Any help/feedback on how to resolve this would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Chris

Our original posting says that only the client tools are installed, if this is true then SQL Server has not been installed. You need to install SQL Server Desktop.

Originally posted by achorozy
    Our original posting says that only the client tools are installed, if this is true then SQL Server has not been installed. You need to install SQL Server Desktop.
    Ah I see. Thanks. Excuse me if I seem to be missing the obvious (complete newbie), but is SQL Server Desktop a different edition to SQL Server Personal? I tried to install the Personal edition fully, but it would only allow me to install the Client tools.

Also, why do I still get Enterprise Manager and have the option of registering a SQL Server when only the Client tools are installed. Are these included in the CT installation?

Do I need to install a different edition? I am running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

About just the client tools being installed. This allows a user to install the tools only if they wish to administor remote SQL Servers. You my not wish to install the database server on your machine but still need to connect to and administor or query remote servers.

I haven't used 'Personal' so I can't answer the question. I know when I've install SQL Server on NT or 2000 that a service is created for SQL Server, but 95/98 do not have 'Services', does XP? If so then checking the services screen you can see if the service is installed and if it is running. The service must be running to connect too.

Ok, I think I see what is happening.

I checked the services and noticed there is absolutely nothing resembling a SQL Server service. I guess this means I need to install something else on the machine.

All I want to do is to install SQL Server on my machine and be able to administer and use it from the same machine.

Is this possible to do on Windows XP Professional?

Thanks,

Chris