Unanswered: ACCESS 2000 Compact & Repair

I have an ACCESS 2000 mdb database of some 49MB. After performing a Compact and Repair the database came up with the message that Switchboard form was missing and I discovered that all the form objects were missing. Tables, Queries, Reports, macros were unaffected and in existence - only form objects had disappeared. Does anyone have a comment as to what has happened and can I somehow recover the forms?

The first thing I would do is create a brand new database, open the import window and see if it can see your missing forms. If it can, then simply import all the objects (forms, tables, modules etc), compile your database, save it and exit before attempting to work with it.

If the import doesn't work, make a copy of the database without opening it and attempt to decompile it (e.g. go to Start / Run and, at least with Acc 2000 type in msaccess.exe / decompile - then choose the copy you just created as the target DB. If all goes well, it will take your whole database back to text. When it does, recompile it, save and exit.

For future reference, there is a utility you can download from Microsoft that does a compact operation WITHOUT the need to open the database first. I think it's called JetComp. From what I read it will do a better job than the built in capability. The name of the download file is JetCU40

The following information is taken from Article ID: Q248965 in the Microsoft knowledge base:

In a Microsoft Access project, after you modify the Database properties, you notice that an object that you recently created is no longer there. This can happen with the following objects:

Forms
    Reports
    Data access pages
    Macros
    Modules

CAUSE
    If you change the Database properties in an Access project, and then make changes to the project, any forms, reports, data access pages, macros, or modules that you create for the remainder of that session may be lost.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).

To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a)

Good find WIlliam.

Boy, I've never had this happen to me . . . scary.