Question Unanswered: Help ASAP!:"Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases" sql agent problem

I have not long service packed (sp2) on two of our sql2000 boxes.

one of them is fine- the other one starts sql agent successfully, however you cannot open jobs, create jobs or procedures etc... the message is:

Error 14258: cannot perform this operation while SQLServerAgent is starting. try again later.

the errorlog for sqlagent has an information type message saying:

[393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases...

there is no databases locked (greyed out in enterprise mgr as you would expect if this was true).

I have run DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKALLOC against msdb and all is fine...

help anyone?.... Im pulling my hair out over this one!

-Daniel
    Last edited by daned; 03-06-02 at 18:34.

Howdy

Have you looked at technet ( www.microsoft.com/technet ) in case this is reported?

Try using the Agent is using Local System account as a startup account. This will eliminate one possible cause of the problem. After that check for disk space & and size restrictions on ALL databases. set to auto grow if restricted. Make sure at least 20 % extra groth capability on all disks ( especially those that have master, msdb on it )

See how you go. post back if problems.

J.

If you are using fibers - turn it off.

Ive looked through technet... and others...
    i found 1 or 2 people who restored the msdb and it worked - its a big job for us, because of the service pack - ill need to uninstall sql, reinstall, restore msdb (which will attatch the dbs again) the repack, and hope it works...

Ive checked db size and growth restrictions - all ok. disk space is fine, and The agent uses the system account -

any other suggestions much welcome!!...
    thanks - Daniel

Originally posted by jbleen100
    Howdy

Have you looked at technet ( www.microsoft.com/technet ) in case this is reported?

Try using the Agent is using Local System account as a startup account. This will eliminate one possible cause of the problem. After that check for disk space & and size restrictions on ALL databases. set to auto grow if restricted. Make sure at least 20 % extra groth capability on all disks ( especially those that have master, msdb on it )

See how you go. post back if problems.

J.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    If you are using fibers - turn it off.
    I found this article cured the same problem I had with the SQL Agent.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q303287

I also restarted the DTC service