Unanswered: Security and SQL Server 7

Hi All

I had a quick question about what security features are present in MS SQL Server 7. I was asked by someone the other day "If my data is on a server external to our intra-net, how do I know that it is safe?"

I know that SQL Server must have many sercurity features in place, otherwise nobody would use it, but I am finding it hard to find any information. I looked on the microsoft website, but couldn't find anything that directly answered my question.

If you know about this kind of thing could you please give me a reasonably non-technical explanation.

Kind regards, Ben

Unhappy

Hi

I have the same problem whit the databases in SQl Server 7
    I want to distribute a database that only mi application can see
    Where can I do this ???

Dardo

Re: Security and SQL Server 7

Hi, Ben. If you are on a different site than the site where your data is, you can still use Windows authentication to authenticate users who connect to sql server. You can configure sql server to use windows authentication or sql server authentication. You can also use Proxy server for authentication when doing replication between different sites. Using windows authentication is preferred because you get the added security features of windows nt/2000 like account lockout policies, account lockout threshold, successful/failed logon attempts.
    HTH.

Originally posted by ben_m_gunn
    Hi All

I had a quick question about what security features are present in MS SQL Server 7. I was asked by someone the other day "If my data is on a server external to our intra-net, how do I know that it is safe?"

I know that SQL Server must have many sercurity features in place, otherwise nobody would use it, but I am finding it hard to find any information. I looked on the microsoft website, but couldn't find anything that directly answered my question.

If you know about this kind of thing could you please give me a reasonably non-technical explanation.

Kind regards, Ben