Question Unanswered: What are basic requirements to use SQL mail

Hi,
    I am new user to SQL-Mail, I want to set my SQL-7.0 server to send mail. I need information about the same.

Sheetal

Hi,
    On your server, in "services" in control panel, in "startup", give the n/w userid and password that would be used to login to the n/w and send mails. This userid should have admin privileges.
    Install Microsoft exchange or outlook client on the server which would be used to send the mails.
    Now you have to create a mail profile through which the mail has to be sent.
    In the SQl Server Enterprise Manager, in the server that you want to configure SQL Mail, go to "Support Services" and expand it. In "SQl Mail", right click and go to "properties" and in that give the mail profile that you have created and click on "test". This tests if SQl Mail has been configured correctly. Check "Auto start SQL Mail when SQl server starts". This will start the mail service whenever SQL Server is started.
    Right click on "SQL Mail" and click on start if the mail session does not start.

Connect to "master" database on your server through Query Analyzer and execute xp_sendmail to send mails to confirm.

Hi,
    On your server, in "services" in control panel, in "startup", give the n/w userid and password that would be used to login to the n/w and send mails. This userid should have admin privileges.
    Install Microsoft exchange or outlook client on the server which would be used to send the mails.
    In the SQl Server Enterprise Manager, in the server that you want to configure SQL Mail, go to "Support Services" and expand it. In "SQl Mail", right click and go to "properties" and in that give the mail profile that you have created and click on "test". This tests if SQl Mail has been configured correctly. Check "Auto start SQL Mail when SQl server starts". This will start the mail service whenever SQL Server is started.
    Right click on "SQL Mail" and click on start if the mail session does not start.

Connect to "master" database on your server through Query Analyzer and execute xp_sendmail to send mails to confirm.

Hi,

Exclamation Beware of Outlook Version

Be careful which version of outlook you install for SQL Mail. If you install 2000 make sure it is pre-SP1. SP1 adds the Outlook Security Patch which interferes with SQLMail. It tries to prompt the user that something other than Outlook is trying to access the address book and asks permission. Since SQL is a background process you will never see this message and it will appear as if SQL Mail is not working. If you install 2000 pre-SP1 or Outlook98 you will be fine. I haven't tried OutlookXP, however I expect the same problems.