Unanswered: ??? Tools Needed To Run DB2 7.2 On Win 2000

Hello,

I am trying to make use of DB2 v7.2 on my Win 2000 system. Prior to getting into it I realize I may need to have some PC-bound of COBOL already installed on my PC. Can anyone advise if there is a free version of COBOL/compiler somewhere on the Web that I can download and install on my PC that will allow the DB2 to successfully 'hook' into it?

With thanks in advance,

Aussie

You only need COBOL if you're doing COBOL development. DB2/UDB on your Win2K system will allow Java,C,C++,VB and COBOL if you need it. I have installed and deinstalled hundreds of times without any development tools preloaded.

There is a gnu-C project (can't remember the name) but do a search for GNU FREE COBOL and you'll find it.

WP

Hello WPSullivan,

Thank you very much for your ideas. Anything is appreciated. I will look into your suggestions. In the meantime, I found a free version of Fujitsu COBOL. I am assuming from your comments that I can invoke DB2 from that compiler also ......

Please feel free to comment on this thought of mine if you wish.

Again, many thanks.

Aussie

Hello Aussie,

I'm not too familar with the Fujitsu COBOL compiler. MicroFocus, IBM AIX/MVS VisualAge/Cobol etc.. are real strong points of mine. Anyway;

The way to build a COBOL app is to:

1. Write the app using embedded SQL (i.e: EXEC SQL... END-EXEC)
    2. Translate the SQL using the "db2 prep ..." process which converts the EXEC SQL to native COBOL.
    3. Compile the output of the translator/precompiler.
    4. Link to the runtime libraries -or-
    4. Establish the dynamic runtime environment.

Examples of "CALLing" external routines should be supplied with the documentation. If not, I'm sure you can find information on the web somewhere.

Best of luck,

WP.