Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    22

    Question Unanswered: Problems with XP runtime edition

    I have an MDE that has been tested by running full access XP with the /runtime parameter at startup and it works fine.

    When I run the same MDE on another computer that has just the XP runtime environment on it there are problems. These are things like combos not being populated and fields in reports showing as #name?.

    Does anybody know why there should be differences between full access in runtime mode and the actual runtime application.

    Any help gratefully received

    Andy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    403
    I don't know exactly what your problem is however, I too have noticed some strange goings on.

    What I have noticed is that forms with a lot of code behind, are misbehaving badly in Access Runtime, however, reloading the forms has usually fixed the problems.

    It seems, although it is too early to tell, that if you veiw the form etc in Runtime and then go back to full for a design tweak, and then veiw the form again the form misbehaves.

    I can not imagine why.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    22
    Through trial and error, I have narrowed the problem down to the string handling functions. The report fields and query that were causing me problems all contained string handling routines (Mid, Trim, Format, Instr). As soon as I remove them it works fine, apart from the change of formatting obviously.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    403
    I wasn't using any trim functions.

    Even wierder in one forms case, it decided it no longer recognised a control after being veiwed in Runtime. No matter what I did it would not respond.

    So I imported a new copy of the form from the original and all worked fine????

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    601
    Here's a possibility.

    Go into a module.

    Got to Tools>>References

    Uncheck the Microsoft DAO X.XX Object Library.

    Close the module.

    The next two steps are combined in Access 2000, or greater.

    Repair (holding down the shift key)

    Compact (holding down the shift key)

    Get out of Access.

    Go to START>>RUN

    BROWSE and OPEN the msaccess.exe so that it appears in the BROWSE command line combobox.

    Go to the end of the line and add: /decompile

    Click OK.

    Hold down the shift key and open up your database.

    Say OK to the warning message and make sure you are still holding down the shift key--you will launch to the database window.

    At this point, I usually do another repair and compact (with the shift key held down) and I usually close Access again.

    I then launch my program again, with the shift key held down.

    Then open up a module again.

    Open up Tools>>References again.

    Locate and check the Microsoft DAO X.XX Object Library.

    Go to CompileAll modules.

    Do another repair and compact, holding the shift key down.

    You should be done.

    Ken

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •