I have an Access 97 database (we will soon be converting to 2000) that has just recently been giving me great headaches. It is a very simple database with only three tables and has been in existence since early 1999. The database has been problem free until last week.
In the past two weeks I have had to repair the database about a dozen times. I repair the database because Access give the message to repair when a new user is entering the database. I cannot find any consistency as to why the database needs repair. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for. Here is some additonal info:
-PCs are running Windows 2000 with Office 97
-Servers are running Windows NT
-I have used the LDBVIEWER to pinpoint which PC is suspect, it is not always the same PC
-I have twice created a new database and imported the objects from this database into the new one
Is this database separated into a tables-backend and and attached frontend?
If not, I'm going to have to drop out of offering a solution.
Many, many years ago, when first developing in Access, I saw no end of problems with concurrent use of a single Access database. As a result, it's been years since I have had to do any debugging on a database used by multiple clients.
I realize that this has worked fine for years, and then all of a sudden . . .
Did something happen in your environment recently? Was a machine added to your network with some out-of-date Jet?
If the database is not split into FE/BE, then do it, no matter what. I had the same problem. Great database, lots of tables, forms, everything. All worked well for long time, then one day we added a new WinXP machine. All of sudden, the database wouldn't run four hours without corrupting. I tried everything and kept avoiding splitting. Now wish I had listened earlier. Works GREAT.
I'm going to try the split today. We have done that with some of our other databases, but not this one. And our LAN team is constantly upgrading/adding software to the users PCs. So maybe this caused a good file to be overwritten with a bad one.
I'll try the split and reinstall Office on the suspect machines. Thanks for the advice and I'll provide a status update.