Thread: fragmentation

Question fragmentation

Can anyone please describe database fragmentation strategies??

Data fragmentation is a badthing.. So you don't really want to have it happen. Are you talking about partitioning or clustering? Or avoiding fragmentation?
    Thanks,

Matt

Post fragentation types

i think hes referring to horizontal, vertical and mixed fragmentation.

i myself have just come to grasps with this topic and find it difficult to understand it would be nice if their was a good website to explain distributed database design.

fragmentation is also linked to allocation as well so u might wanna have a look see at that.

other than this i would sugest looking into a book such as the very old distrubuted databases by ceri & pelagatti or for more uotodate book try connolly and begg which covers a chapter on dd.

Mixed fragmentation subject

Hi, im trying to work on my thesis that concerns fragmentation in distributed database. im thinking of a new approach of mixed fragmentation, but i only found 2 documents to start with. could anyone help?!

Again, what is the difference between object oriented and relational database?

Your THESIS is on a subject you know nothing about?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

sorry but honestly i didnt understand which one is the o.o.db and which one is the relational

So, to be clear, you are writing a thesis on fragmentation in distributed databases, but you don't know anything about databases? Isn't that a bit like writing a thesis on the use of transitive verbs in Greek when you can't actually read any Greek

But anyway, relational databases are the ones that most people use like Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. Object oriented databases were a fad a few years ago that seems to have withered away.