Exclamation Unanswered: Help with huge database

I am trying to run a large database, currently its in a access in one large table containing half a million records and 100 fields and several small tables. When running a query as you can imagine it takes ages. I've converted it to Microsoft sql 2000 but its still slow. The exact queries that I ran seemed to be quicker in access than in MS SQL. Please help. What can/should I do to be able to run this database online.

Have you analyzed your indexes? You can use Query Analyzer and set "Show Execution Plan".

I ran the same query on the access database and the sql via asp and it took 30 seconds for access and 45 seconds for sql.

The thing that I cannot understand is that I'm sure there are a lot of websites running much larger databases but they're a hell of a lot faster than that.

Could one solution be to split the database into smaller tables? or is there a better way without doing that?

Can you post the indexes and the joins that you do in this query. On the tables used can you run DBBC SHOWCONTIG?

If you are using a large database I would be concerned about your indexes as achorozy pointed out. Also, check to see when your statistics were updated last - using STATS_DATE. You can use sp_updatestats or UPDATE STATISTICS to update these numbers. Since your database is large this is especially important. Sequential scans on a large table are brutal. You can use sp_autostats to view and change the current settings. Also, have you been using clustered indexes ??? These can be highly beneficial.

There are no indexes or joins, its a very simple select query with 20 records per page
    -------------------------------------------------------
    <%

MaxNoPerPage = 20
    'The Page Number To Display
    PageNo=Request("PgNo")
    if PageNo="" then
    PageNo=1
    else
    PageNo=cint(PageNo)
    end if

OpenDB

SQL = "SELECT * FROM EXFILE WHERE Holiday_Startdate like '15/09/2001' AND Owner_Code like 'TOLR'"

Set RS = MyConn.Execute(SQL)
    Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

RS.Open SQL,MyConn,3,3

NumberofRecords = rs.RecordCount

%>
    etc etc

thats it couldn't be simpler.

and this is the connection:

' Database connection
    dim MyConn

Sub OpenDB ()

Set MyConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

MyConn.Open "dsn=hosown;uid=Administrator;pwd=test"

End Sub

A few things to consider:

[list=1][*]You may look at creating an index on Holiday_Startdate [*]Remove the LIKE argument and use '=' since you are not using pattern matching '%_[]'[*]Is Holiday_Startdate a DATETIME field if so I don't think the LIKE statement would work since DATETIME stores HH:MMS[/list=1]

The reason I say you may create an index on Holiday_Startdate is because I don't know all of the queries used. An index could be created on (Holiday_Startdate,Owner_Code ) OR (Owner_Code,Holiday_Startdate). But you need an index.

As Achorozy already suggested, run this query under Query Analyzer using Show Execution Plan and you will see that a table scan is being done which is where your cost is greatest. Once you have created the indexes suggested, run Query Analyzer again and notice the difference.

Good luck.

The problem that I have with setting up indexes etc is that the database is being supplied daily as an access database so the tables will need to be updated daily. Does that mean redoing all the steps or is there a way that the process could be automated i.e. press one button sql would import the table and setup everything?

Now I don't know if the Access database is used to UPDATE data or you cleanout SQL Server and reload from Access. However you could create a Linked Server to the Access database, then create a stored procedure that loads the data from Access.
    Code:
    set nocount on
    go
    declare @server sysname
    declare @userid varchar(10)
    declare @pswd   varchar(10)

set @server = 'Client'
    set @userid = 'admin'

exec sp_dropserver @server = @server , @droplogins ='droplogins'

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 
                @server,
                'OLE DB Provider for Jet',
                'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 
                '\\nike\g$\dbscript\cwtsupport\data\Orng_dat.mdb'

exec sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @server, 'FALSE', NULL, @userid, @pswd

exec sp_linkedservers
    GO
    This is a one time definition.

Then create a stored procedure to load Access and update SQL Server. Either you truncate SQL Server and do a INSERT...SELECT or do an UPDATE where keys equal followed by a INSERT..SELECT..WHERE NOT EXISTS matching keys. After the update, UPDATE STATISTICS or DBCC DBREINDEX if you have time. If no time then schedule a weekly job (off hours, weekends) to do the reindexing.
    If the Access database is given to you at a specific time via file transfer or whatever, but if you know you will receive automatically by a specific time then create a schedule job to do the update.

I don't usually buy books but I think a book or a resource on the web might be useful to me do you know any.

I've worked extensivley with Access but SQL server is new to me although I can run the same scripts on SQL server databses its become apparent that they could run a lot quicker if SQL server is setup in certain ways especially for large databases.

Can you please recommend a book or a resource?

Is "Inside SQL Server 2000 by Kalen Delaney" any good?

Sure thats a good book so is anything from WROX