Unanswered: Table of Contents in Access XP

I am using Access XP for maintaining an inventory database. I have set up a report that prints a catalog based on the data. It works beautifully but I am having a problem.

I need to generate a table of contents for the finished catalog. I can figure out no possible way to do so in Access.

Exporting the report to Word is no good as it removes all my formatting and I have to pick through each and every category to build outline/index formats. It takes far too long.

I've tried writing a separate subreport and placing it in the header of the original report, but it repeats on each and every page. I cannot figure out how to print it once and stop - then continue with the rest of the report.

I'm about to pull my hair out. Anyone have any ideas? I'll listen to just about anything at this stage. Converesely, if you know of any software that does what I am trying to do, please let me know.

Thanks very much.

If there is a column of data in the RowSource of the report which contains the identical data for all records, you can group on that column and it will only fire once. Enable the header for that group and place your subreport in that group header. If your RowSource does not contain a uniform piece of data, then create one. If its a table, wrap it in a query and add a column with a constant. If its a query, just at a column with a constant.