I have a problem with two Oracle SQL scripts. The queries generate a
ORA-04030 error. The error code says out of process memory when trying
to allocate nnn bytes (callheap, temporary storage).
I have experimented with the SQL. In the one case, the script will run
perfectly if I remove the "order by" clause. In the other case, it
runs perfectly removing the "union" statement (it does not have either
group by or order by clause).
The production equivalent files run perfectly in production but also
get ORA-04030 errors when running on the development computer.
The development computer is mclean-alpha3, a Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1(Rev. 732), running Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 184.108.40.206.0 -
Production With the Partitioning option JServer Release 220.127.116.11.0 -
My CS&T Operations/DBA's have already decreased sortarea size as suggested in a Oracle Metalink "solution". The DBA's now say that this is a programming error that Oracle does not detect as its syntax is correct, like an unintended cartesian product.
The software change I made was which column name to decode, nothing
dealing with the from clause, where clause or order_by/union clauses.