Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Where do I begin to learn Oracle from scratch ?

Hi. I am a MVS old-timer trying to jump on the Oracle Band wagon. I am lost in www.oracle.com. I downloaded Oracle8i Personal edition and Oracle 6i Designer on my home PC.

Asktom.oracle.com said to read Oracle Concepts Guide from cover to cover. I don't seem to find this manual in Oracle technology network documentation or http://tahiti.oracle.com/ Can someone tell me what this manual is renamed to or which Oracle manual(s) I should read first ?

My hotmail id is royale_sojin@hotmail and my regular work email id is joel.choy@gems6.ov.bc.ca Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi,

The Oracle Concepts guide is a good starting point. You should read it cover to cover to get a good understanding of the way Oracle databases work and what they are build up of. You can find it on tahiti.oracle.com.

Good luck,

Ben

Oops,

It was already recommended. You can find it under:
    Oracle 8i/9i documentation -> List of Books -> CON. It is named concepts.

Ben

Thank you very much for your time Ben. The tahaiti website is great considering I encountered so many Amazon to buy Oracle references icon from the regular Oracle website.

I have downloaded Oracle 8i personal copy and 6i designer and looking at the installation guide from the Oracle technet. Hope there is not too much flooding in Europe this winter. We just have our last snow fall last week in Victoria, British Columbia and now back to the usual warm winter 5-6 degrees celsus. Nice to talk to you.

Smile Where do I begin to learn Oracle from scractch

If you would like a hands on book with labs, a useful book is
    Oracle DBA Interactive Workbook. It is a Prentice Hall book.
    ISBN: 0-13-015742-2

Thanks Srainey for your kindness. I will look this book up. I couldn't log onto the download sites on Oracle Technet these days. They said they are very busy. I printed the Oracle 8i installation instructions but they are for installation with a Oracle 8i personal copy CDs. I have high speed cable internet and downloaded the zip files. I guess I will unzip them and print the readme folders to see how to install it from downloaded files. Wondering if you happen to know if I would have problems following the installation instructions gear for people with the Oracle 8i personal copy CDs. Or you know the readme folders have the installation instructions for downloaded copies. Thank you very much for your help.

No should not have a problem installing from the download or from the CD. The installation process is pretty straight-forward for Windows 2000; however, on Win XP there are a few problems installing oracle from the CD and downloaded; but I have a workaround if you need it. also, if you have a pentium iv computer, oracle will have a problem installing in your computer but I am posting the link for the fix.

http://support.intel.com/support/pro...um4/issues.htm

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response Srainey. I started with a 486 dx/33 with 250 M drive, managed to install windows95 and Norton IE 4.x 128 bit encrptions version..got it working fine then upgraded to dx2/66 and it ran a little faster for a while until around Dec last year, I have given up on fixing the POST 2 beep error (RAM). I then bought a complete system Pentium P200 mmx IBM 300 GL from government surplus for $250.00. It has sound card, 2usb ports and 128M ram. Only problem is 2.5 giga HD which I replaced recently with a 40 giga Western digital 2 weeks ago so I have ample disk space for learning Oracle, visual basic, ASP and UNIX.

I posted a question on www.pcmech.com on the order of my learning. I am learning unix right now. But I am thinking I should pick up C first because unix is written in C and C can be very portable. The only problem is would I need a C compiler for people to try out my C programs on their platforms ?

Smile

If you are going to be a DBA, you need to know some unix to use oracle on HP or Sun Solaris which a lot of companies do. A good compiler for C/C++ is Borland. When I purchased my C/C++ books a few years ago, it came with the Borland Compiler. I believe that you can download a compiler directly from Borland also. You are well on your way to learning Oracle.

Thanks for your speedy reply Srainey. I was reading the first book on unix by David Topham and it was fairly good intro. The next one I am going to read unix for dummies, then I picked up a unix relational db application development book some years ago from the obsoleted library shelves. That book advises me to postpone the urge to write in C until all unix shell script choices are exhausted. It was kind of old, now we have PERL and TOAD and C++. C is more portable and unix was first written in assembly then converted to C. I think I will concentrate in shell script projects first to reinforce my unix skills then if I like and find some good projects to port to Windows98/NT, I will convert my unix shell scripts to C to learn C. Thank you very much for your advice. I did a fair amount of MVS rexx so I will transfer the skills over to unix scripts. Might have to install linux on my pentium p200 mmx PC. I upgraded the 2.5 giga HD to a 40 giga. I can live with a dual boot system unless I find something that can be allow me to decently under Linux under window98.

The best overall introduction to oracle is the Oracle Press A Beginner's Guide. It gives you some architectual foundation of what oracle database is and how it works. It also touches on Forms and Reports, etc.

What do you want to become? A DBA or Developer? Once you get past this big fork in the road, your training choices become much clearer. Checkout Oracle University's websit for certification guidelines. It takes passing 5 tests to become a certified Oracle DBA. Look at the syllabus or outline of issues tested and the available training. Even if you don't want to be certified at this time, it will give you a very good idea of what you should know to be a dba, etc. They also have development tracks...

Best Wishes,
    Troy

Thanks tsclark for your advice. I will take things 1 step at a time. UNIX ,Perl and Linux on my home PC first then slowly progressing to Oracle certification. Cost is another factor if my company won't pay for the books which are not cheap.

re learning oracle from scratch

Hi
    I read you thread and would like to know more on how to get started with learning 9i to become a dba.
    I really would like to know where can one get a book like the interactive dba mentioned but for 9i not 8.
    So far I have got the 1st book from oracle university and am working through that "intro to oracle 9i" and have been thinking about "oracle sql interactive 2nd ed" but is this enough, what else should I be doing, because this only prepares you for the 1st 9i exam.What else can you suggest?

Mike

Provided Answers: 4
    I'd suggest you to switch to 10g; 9i is going to be desupported by Oracle corp. later this year (in July, if I'm not wrong). So, why would you want to certify for an old Oracle database version?

There's an OraFAQ Training and Certification Forum; perhaps you'll be interested in reading / searching through it, see what other people say etc.

Finally, visit Oracle web pages and check the Oracle database certification paths.

Where do I begin to learn oracle from scratch

Hi
    Thanks for the informative reply, but I read in some groups that 9i was far easier to learn for a newbie than 10g.
    Thats´s why I opted for 9i .I don't have a computer background but am very interested in learning oracle dba, now in the link that you sent me I noticed that 10g is now going to be surpassed by 11, so now what should I do?
    What I would like to know is, do you think maybe I'm wasting my time .I live in Portugal and have heard that some companies are still using 8, the thing is I have no knowledge of the IT industry in Portugal at all, so I'm really at a quandry.Thanks for the reply once again and any other suggestions that you might have will be appreciated.