I edited one of our current databases (production control), used mainly for RMA's. I added a new report, and edited a form to incoporate a cost field. It is stored remotely on a w2k server, I edited it on my local machine and coppied it back to the server. After this I went to test the database, it works fine and great from my local machine. I go to login on one of the employees machines, it works fine till I go to hit a command button it gives me the error: "Runtime Error 3043" Disk or Network Error. Comes up with End / Debug ? I hit debug and it brings me to a highlighted line of code:
Private Sub BTN_ADJ_INV_Click()
'PUT CODE TO OPEN THE FORM HERE!!
Private Sub BTN_CREATE_RMA_Click()
*highlights the line below this*
DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM_RMA_HEADER_INFORMATION", acNormal, , , acFormEdit, acWindowNormal
*highlights the line above this*
When I do the same operation on my machine, it works perfectially. Log in with their name and password into the database on my machine, it works great. Go to another employees machine and log in with my name or theirs and it says the above error.
I have tried Compacting and Repairing the database, which does compact down but will not fix the issue. I split the database down while editing it could that have any effect on it?
Any suggestions as to what to check or what to do to correct this problem? Thanks Much!
It works fine with the old database over the LAN, but when accessing this new 'edited' database (same location on the server) it gives that error. I have tried with 3 different employee machines, it allows them to login up to an initial form until I hit a command button. I have ruled out network cards, because there are no other issues providing any feedback as to that. They funciton with other databases, email, packets are being sent fine. Thanks but, I think this is something to do with Access not hardware (Maybe I'm wrong!).
I am not completely fluent with Access, or how their file structure works but here it is: There are 3 files needed to run / modify this database, I believe it is split, but you can be the judge. The Files are: "Production Control 2000.mdb" , "Production Control 2000_be.mdb" (which I believe contains the forms) and there is the Production.mdw (password / user storage file) So to answer the question, I believe it is split but I am unsure. This is not a sql server, this is an intel dual processor running w2k server. Thanks!
Pull a copy of the Production Control 2000.mdb over to your local machine. Launch it with the shift key down and access the Linked Table Manager in the Tools>>AddIns menu item. Check the little check box in the lower left corner, and relink all your tables to the server database.
Get out of the program and launch this copy, and see if it works now.
Then load it on a few more machines (they will need to have the same mapping reference you spec'd in the Link Manager. See if this works.
I have never been a fan of the architecture which has been implemented there, I can't say that it is, specifically, the problem. But let's get that concern out of the way.
I did not even have to copy it over to my local machine, I just opened the database on the server with shift held down, went to Linked Table Manger (it was under tools, database utilities) and moved my exisiting .mdb files locally before I tried this, I noticed everything was pointed to d:\temp\(where i had the files) so hit select all, then update. It now asked where everything resides, so I pointed it to the server directory and to the .mdb file and volia it worked! Thank you very much. That would have taken me 7 hours to re-do my work that I had into it! I really appreaciate it.