Unanswered: Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?
Anybody out there with experience storing an Access 97
database on a server running SuSe Linux with Samba? The
database has been running without problem for seven months
on a Windows 2000 server, and we moved it to a Linux
server yesterday morning. In the following 20 hours, we
suffered two database failures, resulting in a corrupted
database. The first time, I was able to create a blank
database and import all of the tables, queries, forms,
etc. from the broken database. Fortunately, there didn't
appear to be any loss of data in that case, and everybody
got back online okay. Then this afternoon, the database
crashed again, and this time I'm unable to do a repair, a
compact, or even import the components to a new database
as I had done yesterday. I restored from my backup file
and got everybody up and running again, but Management is,
ummmm - how shall I put this, "concerned"...
Is it common to store Access databases on a Linux/Samba
server, or is that something that is not done in the real
Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated...
Not familiar with SuSe Linux with Samba, but my first question would be, is this application split between a frontend and a backend? If you have a single .mdb sitting on the server, with everyone accessing it directly, you are asking for trouble. So, how is this application organized.
This application consists of a single .mdb file residing on the Linux server, which is accessed by twelve to fourteen users simultaneously. This approach has worked successfully for about seven months with the database residing on a Windows 2000 server, but within twenty hours of moving to the Linux server we had two database crashes resulting in the corruption of the data.
In your post, you state that our configuration is "asking for trouble." Is that due to the fact that we're using a "single file," to the fact that we're trying to store the database on a Linux server, or to some other aspect of the configuration? We're new to the Linux world, and are peddling as fast as we can to learn...
The asking for trouble part is the fact that you have a dozen, or more, user accessing a single .mdb across a network. Sometimes this works fine, other times it does not. There is plenty of history in the Access world which demonstrates that this arrangement is asking for trouble. Add in the new file system and it appears that someone has just struck a match.
All client-server applications should be separated into a data container and a client application. The data container can be an Access .mdb residing on your Linux machine. But on each client machine, you should have a client application which accesses that data. That application can also be written in Access.
This is such a common concern, that Microsoft developed a Database Spliter Add-in Wizard which breaks your application into the two pieces I have mentioned above. I am sure there is some sort of white paper about this on Microsoft's web site, so please investigate it futher.
I do not know specifically why your application worked fine under your old environment and has now failed under your new environment. I can categorically guarantee, however, that if you split your database, this problem will go away.