Unanswered: How to set up a listener?

I am unable to set up a listener for Oracle. I am quite new to this stuff. I have created an MFC application that accesses various databases like Access, MySQL etc. When I add a new class and provide a new ODBC datasource (an Oracle DSN) I get the following error: "Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed". Please have a look at the file attached. When I test the service using Net8, I get the error "ORA-12541: TNS:no listener". How do I set listeners?

check in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

there should be a file there called listener.ora

this is different depending on if you have a multithreaded server or not, do you use MTS?

anyway, change the file and to start the listener, at the command line:

lsnrctl start

Tell me how you get on or if you need to know what to put in the listener.ora file

Originally posted by Breen
    check in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

there should be a file there called listener.ora

this is different depending on if you have a multithreaded server or not, do you use MTS?

anyway, change the file and to start the listener, at the command line:

lsnrctl start

Tell me how you get on or if you need to know what to put in the listener.ora file
    Thanks, Breen, for your help. I got it working. I was not starting the listener before. Btw, how do I know that the server I am using is multithreaded? I am using Personal Oracle 8i on Windows 98.

Hi manishbhatnagar,

If you go into the listener, type:

lsnrctl

you will get to the prompt:

LSNRCTL>

type services

LSNRCTL> services

This will provide you with information on what databases this listener is listening for (if you have MTS, you will see listings for DISPATCHERS).
    If you don't know about MTS then you probably don't use it.

Also, if you type help at the listener prompt it will give you some of the listener commands which can be usefull.

Best of luck,
    Breen.

Hi Breen,
    Yeah... I saw the 'services' thing... my server is not multithreaded... it seems....
    Thanks once again.
    Manish
    manish@accord-soft.com