Question Unanswered: How to refer to subform control in VB code using parameters?

Hi,

I wrote a procedure that open a pop up form to capture information when you click on a field in a main form. When the info is captured I need to update that field if I click OK on the pop Up Form. I am able to do it when the field is on the parent form. But I don't know how to refer to that field when it's in a subform.

Here is what I did with success if the field is on the parent form.

The two main parameters of the procedure are the initial form name (fname as String) and the field name to updated (fieldname as String).

So i did

Sub ProcedureTriggeredWhenIclickOnField (fname as String, fieldname as String, ...)
    Dim frm As Form
    Set frm = Forms(fname)
    EndSub

From my pop up form, to refer to the field to update when I click OK, I do this to update that field

Private Sub CloseForm_Click()
    frm(fieldname).Value = InfoCapturedOnPopUpForm
    EndSub

I don't know how to do it when the field to update is in a subform.

I tried as fname:
    SubFormName
    ParentFormName!SubFormName
    ParentFormName!SubFormName.form
    Forms!ParentFormName!SubFormName.form

Nothing works!!!

Thanks for your help

Francois

So you have a . . .

ParentForm
    SubFormOnParentForm
    PopUpForm

When the click a button on the ParentForm (or maybe, on the SubFormOnParentForm) you go to a subroutine which opens the PopUpForm.

Then, on close of the PopUpForm, you want to update a field on the SubFormOnParent Form.

I can think of several ways to do this, but the way I prefer is this . . .

Create three invisible fields on your PopUpForm (make them visible while you are developing and debugging). One field will be the [UpdateThisParentForm] field. Another field will be the [UpdateThisSubFormOnParentForm]. And the last field will be the [UpdateThisField].

When you open this PopUpForm, update these fields with the text values of the appropriate names. IMPORTANT--the name of the subform field should be the name of the subform control on the main form, not the form name of the subform!

Then, on the close of the PopUpForm simply use the following to update the field on the subform.

forms([UpdateThisParentForm])([UpdateThisSubFormOnParentForm]).form([UpdateThisField])

Smile Thanks

Thank you very much,

It's working now.

This is the part I needed:
    forms([UpdateThisParentForm])([UpdateThisSubFormOnParentForm]).form([UpdateThisField])

I was not able to find the exact syntax.

Thanks again

Francois