Unhappy Unanswered: Linking word documents to forms

Sorry to bother everyone again but...

I'm using forms within my database as a way of navigating around, so I created them and used command buttons to link from one to another. Unfortuneately this has presented me with a few problems;

1) Once a window is open they stay open so you've got about 15 windows open once you've clicked on every link. Anybody know a way to get them to close when you open the next window?

2) Because a form has to link to data in a table, I've got about 50 pages on each of the forms that are open, each showing exactly the same thing becasue there's not really any data on the pages. Is there a way to delete the pages so that I've only got one of each type of page?

3) I can only put so much information on a form, and I'd like to link it to a word document so I can include pictures and the such like. Is there a way that I can do this, so that the document either opens in Access or in Word but directly from clicking a button on one of these forms?

Any help on any of these little problems would be appreciated. They're probably either stupidly simple or something you can't do, but it seems that I'm missing something...

Thanks everyone,
    Essbee.

Essbee,

You have a responsibity to design you application so that the user cannot open 50 windows. You should never design an application that allows the user to go to every screen from every other screen.

Look at "real" applications, like Word, or Excel. They typically work with a main windows and hide all the other windows behind menubar items. But even when you open one of those windows from the menubar, you are typically limited as to where you can go. You may pop to one, or two, other subordinate windows, but that's it. When you select Page Setup, you have the option of moving through windows associated with setting up a page--and that is it. You can't go in to Page Setup and expect to be able to navigate through windows to get to Thesaurus options.

So you need to take another look at the buttons you have made available to your users, 'cause you may have gone hog-wild with them.

As for pictures, why don't you look at the NorthWinds database to get an idea as to how to incorporate pictures in an Access database.

I don't think I've explained myself properly.

The main switchboard has four options on it, all of which open one window. Three of these windows give the option to return to the main switchboard window. Clicking this button brings the switchboard window back to the front, but doesn't close the first window. I can get a button that closes the window and one that re-opens the switchboard, but I was wondering how to combine the two codes to get a button that closes teh open window and goes to the next one at the same time.

The other window that you can open from the switchboard is one that leads to 4 other windows sequencially by pressing the buttons at the bottom of the page. Each time you click the navigation buttons at the bottom of the page you get the next page opened and brought forward, but the original window is still open behind. This is what I'm trying to eliminate. You can't get from this set of windows to anywhere other than the switchboard from the last window, they're not that interlinked! (I might be mad, but I'm not crazy.)

The 50 windows thing is another problem entirely. I've had to open the form linked to one of the tables used in the database. The one I've linked it to has 50 records in it. Now I've deleted the feilds from the form so there is no data actually showing in these forms that is linked to the table, but there are still 50 records. They've all got the text and buttons on exactly the same, and all the buttons work, but there are 50 identical records of them. I wanted to make it so that there is only 1 record, but preffereably without deleting the data in the table they are linked to.

Does that make it a little clearer?
    Sorry if I confused before. I confuse myself a lot of the time, so that's no biggie.

Thanks,
    Essbee.

One Crisis averted, a few more to go?

After spending all day playing with the subroutines, I've finally managed to get it to do what I wanted, or at least partially.

By adding the command;
    DoCmd.Close
    to each of the subroutines for opening a new form, I got the old one to close at the same time.

However, I'm still open to any help anyone has on linking a word document into it all. I'm sure that it should just be another line in the subroutine but I'm fairly new to this programming lark and I haven't got a clue really, just making stuff up as I go along!

Also I haven't come up with a way of getting rid of the extra records in the form view. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks and sorry to be putting you all out again!
    Essbee.
    "Now is the time to say something profound... Nothing comes to mind."

Hi,

Have you considered opening your forms as modal forms?

Private Sub cmdOpen_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmMyForm", , , , , acDialog
    End Sub

Igor

Sorry to sound thick... what's a modal form?

Essbee.

"Now is the time to say something profound... Nothing comes to mind."

Essbee,

I don't think anyone here doesn't like helping other people out, but upi need to show a little effort when finding solutions to your problems.

You asked what 'modal' is.

Look it up!

If you type modal in the Access Help system, you get a whole bunch of stuff.

Sorry to be rough, but no one really learns when they are spoon-fed.