Angry Unanswered: Store Procedure Mistery

Hi!

I'm having a strange problem with SQL Server 2000 using Store Procedures.

If I run the store procedure code alone (without exec) everything goes fine and it gives me some results. Taking around 1m.
    Now the strange stuff... the same code in a Store procedure (with exec)... it should take around 1m too... nice joke... it takes around 11m. More 10m!
    How about this???

Any clues? Ideas?

Thanks,
    Fernando Silva
    Last edited by Fernando Silva; 04-10-02 at 16:45.

Does the name of your stored procedure starts with sp_ ?

No!

Another thing... it doesn't matter the mumber of times I run the SP it always take around 11m.

Try this:

EXECUTE storedProcedure WITH RECOMPILE

That will force the procedure's query plan to be recompiled, and should improve performance.

If that does not work, try dropping the procedure and then re-create it. Sometimes SQL Server does not fully release a procedure's original query plan, even after you recompile it (it's rare, but it can happen)

Also check that your index statistics are up-to-date (run UPDATE STATISTICS <indexname> on a regular basis)

Smile

Thanks!

After updating the index statistics and recompiled the SP it return to the normal behavior.

But shouldn't the SQL Server recompute the indexes statistics by it self? I didn't deactivate that option...

Another question. Do I need to recompile the SP after updating the index statistics of the tables?

Thanks again,
    Fernando Silva

Hi,

There is no need to recompile the stored procedure after the statistics is updated.

Also even if you trun Auto statistics on,you need to updat the statistics manually because sql server uses algorithm to upate the statistics.

use dbcc showcontig(tablename,index_name) with fast It gives the scan denstiy count.Enjoy

VenkatChebrolu