Angry Unanswered: Ending hung Compact/Repair process

Is there a "nice" way to terminate a Compact/Repair? Mine has been hung at the 7th bullet on the task bar (2/3 way compacted) for a few hours now. I tried to compact the dB overnight last night too and the compact was stuck at the same place and I just restarted my machine and started the compact over again and it's still stuck. Any one have any reasons or ways to restart this method? BTW, I'm compacting a database that's on a server.

>>I just exited MS Access - created a copy of the database onto my desktop and am trying to compact it and it is still hanging...
    Is there a way to know why it's stuck or what object it is stuck on?
    Last edited by twilight; 04-16-02 at 11:52.

Are you trying to compact directly on the server, in other words, are you opening database from your local machine, accessing the server?

Because if you are, then your problem is solved. You can not acces your database as if it were stored on your computer.

If not, then review the virtual memory of the server, and disk space. This is very importante, because if your database has a consideravel size, memory and disk space is needed.

Hope be helpfull!!

try if any of the tables has got records which are totally blank,

same has happened with me, some blank records were added without any data, try to delete these records by using a select query on that table nad delete all the unwanted records.

I was accessing it from my computer at first and then thought that may be the problem. Now I have taken a copy of the server and added it to my desktop to try to compact and am having the exact same problem...

In the past I have had no problem compacting from my local machine to the server - its really odd that this is happening now. The file is only ~16mb

How much memory and disk space do you have in the server and in your computer?

There's no way to have blank records in any of my tables b/c of indexes and keys.

My CPU Usage is only @ ~2-10% and my memory usage @ 197104K/309936K

You have a large amount of memory for this happens. It's possible that your database had been corrupted when you try to compact it on the server.

See if there's some ldb file in the database directory, with the name of your database. If it is, then delete it. open your database, work a little while with it, just adding records, creating forms deleting forms, etc. and then try to repair or compact it.

If doesn't work, then close the database, delete the ldb file, create a new database and a form with a button. In the event procedure of the button type this code:
    Docmd.RunCommand acCmdCompactDatabase

or try

Docmd.RunCommand acCmdRepairDatabase

A dialog box will appear for you to chose a database to be repaired or compacted, chose the your database.

Originally posted by Miguel
    You have a large amount of memory for this happens. It's possible that your database had been corrupted when you try to compact it on the server.

See if there's some ldb file in the database directory, with the name of your database. If it is, then delete it. open your database, work a little while with it, just adding records, creating forms deleting forms, etc. and then try to repair or compact it.
    So far I've tried this - made sure no .ldb file - reopened - played around a bit with the database creating/deleting - and now am in the process of compacting/repairing. Still stuck in the compact stage in the same place.... It also created 2 databases (named db1 and db2) when it started compacting that cannot be deleted.

I'm going to give it a few more minutes and then try your next suggestion. However I have previously tried to just open Access alone and do a compact/repair and choose the database and create it into a newly named database and had same problem - is the button process you are asking me to do essentially the same thing?

Well I'm afraid that your database could be corrupted. because it creates db1 db2, etc. when you compact.

yes! the button do the same. you're right, i've forgot of that you can do the same when open a database chose to compact.

If i'm right you can not repair it or compact it, try to do:

create a new database, and import all from the other.
    try to compact now the new.

it should work.

Thanks! I was afraid of having to do this