Unanswered: upper(?) with bind not working through jdbc

Hi all,

Sql Query: select id , username from table_users where username = char(upper(?))

When the above sql query is executed from the Web
    using the jdbc connection .
    I get the following error::
    COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0418N A statement contains a use of a parameter marker that is not valid. SQLSTATE=42610

at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.throw_S QLException(SQLExceptionGenerator.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.throw_S QLException(SQLExceptionGenerator.java:197)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.check_r eturn_code(SQLExceptionGenerator.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.execute2 (DB2PreparedStatement.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.executeQ uery(DB2PreparedStatement.java, Compiled Code)

I tried various options
    1. The binding of the "?" does not fail when used with other functions like substring etc.
    2. Also the upper/lower function runs fine when the bind is actually hardcoded eg 'sarada'

Only when the bind "?" is used along with the combination of upper/lower function the executeQuery fails.

Kindly help in this regard,
    Thanks,
    Sarada.

Re: upper(?) with bind not working through jdbc

Hi
    We have now the same problem. We found 'patch', we are using following construction:
    upper( ?||'')
    Do somebody know better solution?
    Thank you
    Mira

Originally posted by sarada
    Hi all,

Sql Query: select id , username from table_users where username = char(upper(?))

When the above sql query is executed from the Web
    using the jdbc connection .
    I get the following error::
    COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0418N A statement contains a use of a parameter marker that is not valid. SQLSTATE=42610

at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.throw_S QLException(SQLExceptionGenerator.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.throw_S QLException(SQLExceptionGenerator.java:197)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.check_r eturn_code(SQLExceptionGenerator.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.execute2 (DB2PreparedStatement.java, Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.executeQ uery(DB2PreparedStatement.java, Compiled Code)

I tried various options
    1. The binding of the "?" does not fail when used with other functions like substring etc.
    2. Also the upper/lower function runs fine when the bind is actually hardcoded eg 'sarada'

Only when the bind "?" is used along with the combination of upper/lower function the executeQuery fails.

Kindly help in this regard,
    Thanks,
    Sarada.

Thanks for the information on passing values from java to DB2 through preparedstatements. I was not able to get any of my SQL to run. I used the ?||'' method and things are working nicely.

How about writing
    String sql =
    "select id , username from table_users where username = ?";
    PrepareStatement pst = ...;
    String param = "some_name";

//And when you set the parameter of the PreparedStatement:
    pst.setString(1, param.toUpperCase());