Unanswered: Access-Front, Oracle-back, Win 98 -- TERRIBLE PROBS, help please!

I'm using Oracle 9i, Access 2000 (from professional edition) on Win '98.
    It is imperative that I get the info from the Oracle db into Access, but I am having a hell of a time. No solutions anywhere. the ones I do find are vague in explaining, and frankly, after I figure them out, the aren't working. I am new to Oracle & worked with Access only on limited basis in college.
    Can someone explain to me what might be the problem.
    I'm trying to use the ODBC help files, but nothing it says to do works.

Thanks Very much in advance!!
    ~nica~

Well, I don't know what you have tried. Oracle and Access run on the same computer with Win98. Is it right?

One part of the Oracle installation should be the installation of the ODBC driver. Look at Control Panel for ODBC data souces and check it. If you click Add to create a new data source there should be an Oracle ODBC driver.

Here you can create an ODBC connection to your Oracle database. It's required that the Oracle database server runs and that you have created a database and some tables.

To access the tables from your Oracle database open your Access database. Open menu File/Get External Data/Link Tables. From the file dialog box select 'ODBC Databases' from 'Files of type'. In the new dialog box you can select your ODBC data source.

Now select the tables. That's it.

Can you do anything with it?

If you need more hints please tell me what you have tried, maybe some error messages and so on.

peter

Hello Peter,

I've try using ODBC and It is seems just right , the list of available tables are showing up when I try link ms access application to ORACLE db . but the problem is ORACLE said Err. 1013 , but then actually I can browse ( select ) any table by using SQL+

Thanks

ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation

Cause: The user interrupted an Oracle operation by entering CTRL-C, Control-C, or another canceling operation. This forces the current operation to end. This is an informational message only.

Action: Continue with the next operation.

So, what can I say?

peter

Smile You should set the OLE/DDE timeout!

Hello Satiri,
    Go to Access, Extra/Options/Advanced and set the OLE/DDE timeout to 300 seconds. This tells Access to have more patience...

Good luck!

Paul

Smile

Thanks Paul,

I've tried another way ( change my ODBC driver ) and it's work, but in case i've the same problem in the future i'll try to use your's

Satiri