Unanswered: Daemon only runs when my.cnf is deleted

Hi All

I have spent all day trying to work out why I can't get 'mysqld' up and running. I kept getting messages relating to the locations of files. Someone then pointed me in the direction of 'my.cnf'. It was indeed a configuration problem. I then changed the settings, which solved my original problems but then created a new set of problems. I then came across a forum post that said how one user could only get things working by deleting 'my.cnf'. In desparation I tried it, and low and behold it worked.

Now I just want to know why it worked. Isn't 'my.cnf' necessary to run mysql?

I am using MySQL 3.24.40.

My 'my.cnf' was as follows:
    ---------
    [mysqld]
    datadir=/usr/local/var
    socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
    port=3306
    user=mysql
    log

[mysql.server]
    basedir=/usr/local
    ----------

The error message I was getting when trying to run 'safe_mysql' (before I deleted 'my.cnf') was as follows:

---------
    020424 11:09:57 mysqld started
    /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: File './qube.log' not found (Errcode: 13)

020424 11:09:57 Could not use qube.log for logging (error 13)

020424 11:09:57 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/usr/local/var/qube.us-sinosphere.com.pid' (Errcode: 13)

020424 11:09:57 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)

020424 11:09:57 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Error on delete of '/usr/local/var/qube.us-sinosphere.com.pid' (Errcode: 13)

020424 11:09:57 mysqld ended
    --------

Any ideas?

Regards, Ben.

I have been here awhile nows its time for me to give back

I have been a onlooker here for sometime now. I didnt want to post until I was able to give back just as I have recieved from here. During the hard time
    of the economy today I felt obligated to share with you how I have made it the past 6 months. Now I know this really has nothing to do with this site but as we all know
    we each need tomake money and survive ourselves. Furthermore I wanted to share a site with you that can easily help you as it has helped me. In the past 6 months
    I have been learning Internet Marketing techniques from using Blackhat and WhiteHat stratigies.

With these techniques I have been able to quit my job and focus just my time to internet marketing and now am making arounf $400 a day. My goal in the next 2 months is to beable to make $1k a day.
    If it wasnt for this site Money Maker Discussion Forum|Seo|Blackhat Seo|WhiteHat|GreyHat|Affiliate and Internet Marketing - Powered by vBulletin None of this would have happened. If your down and out and needing to make some online I suggest you check out this site.
    If you join the site then you will ba able to see many more private methods to making anything from $100 a day all the way up to $1000's daily. It just takes a little work on your part but in the end these methods truly work.