Thread: MDE file

Unanswered: MDE file

Cant create MDE-file. Some error. Wont tell me what. How can I know whats wrong? Errorlogging? Where?

JoŽ

Reboot your computer and try again.

Do Re-installation.

Tried restarting the machine running Access 2000 that I ve been working on - unable to create mde bla bla.

Tried on another machine running 2002 Create MDE is grey...Cannot choose this option...

What to do?

JoŽ

Hi,

Does your application work, being an MDB file? Any problems running it?

Igor

Works fine, never any major errors. If I compact and repair it reports no errors.
    When i transfer to access 2002 it complains about a few references to libraries like some activex for pdf. But thats probably coz i have acrobat on one of the machines.

J

If you can't create MDE file in Access 2000 on your PC, then the question is: is this the problem with your MDB file? What about other MDBs? Can you create MDE file from any MDB on your PC? I would assume that you've developed several application and have a couple of MDBs to try.

Igor

Works with other file. Half expected that. Dunno why I didnt try to rule that out.

But how can I get to know whats wrong with the other mdb?

JoŽ

You could try if using /decompile (on a copy!) helps on that issue or if not then import all objects in a new database.

Hi,

If you can create MDE for other MDBs, that's OK. At this moment I was about to suggest importing all objects in a new database, Apel did.
    Try it out.

Thanks guys, IŽll try that. A lot of work, have so many forms and tables. But it would be a good thing to do that anyways. Cleans the file up a bit, can get rid of a lot of old junk at the same time.

What do I do with all relationships? They have to be set again, dont they?

The mde-file I maneged to get out of an other mdb-file had the forms protected allright. But the table design was editable. Can I disable all design possibilities somehow?

Thanks for all your help guys,

JoŽ

I would recommend you to split your application into 2 MDBs: one for front end and another for backend. It improves perfomance of the application (put dront end mdb on user's PC) and gives you some (not too much though) protection against changes of the tables' structure, because the structure of the linked tables can't be changed.

Igor

try upgrade version 1st

you may use Access 97 MDB with Access 2000 office u need to convert your db first to 2000 then make the MDE

There may be an error in your code. go to a object that has code, click the debug tab on the menu, select compile if there is an error fix it then try makeing a mde again

Peter.t