Unanswered: Decompiling an MDE file

Our database programmer we dealth with interstate has dissappeared without a trace.

We need to make changes to the front end and desperately need to decompile our MDE file to make changes.

The general info on the net says it can't, but there must be a way.....if it was made by a human it canbe broken by a human......

Any information or links would be appreciated.

I am afraid to inform that this can not be reverse tracked, In case you are able to find some option on this. Please update me as well. I too have the same kind of a problem........

conceptually, you are right...anything can be reverse engineered, however, it would be far more work to reverse engineer the mde file than to build an all new one.

What was your agreement with the guy? Was he supposed to leave you his "source code" or were you supposed to rely on him for updates?

Try This

I don't know how much value this is, but try this:

Here's how to import everything from MDE’s into a new MDB except the original modules. It also lists how to recreate the modules for the macros. I did this running Access 2002. I post this for those who have lost their source code. I was told by an expert that this is all trivial and you don't need the Access Recovery program. He did not tell me how he does it. I post it for what it is worth.

1. Create an MDB replica of the MDE by using the Tools menu.

2. Make the MDB the Design Master, by choosing Recover Design Master.

3. Run AccessRecovery against the file (the program costs $399 and is available here: http://www.officerecovery.com/access/).

4. Everything is importable now from the recovered MDB file but the modules are gone.

5. Highlight each macro in the recovered database and choose “Convert Macros to Visual Basic” from the Macros menu on the Tools menu. You might have to edit the VBA before compiling again. The VBA for the macros is now importable.
    Paul Pruitt

mfield, send me the mde file. I will try to decompile for you.

Again MDE 2 MDB

hello there,
    this is my 1st question in this forum, & hope i can get my answer, for everyone's good.
    i know that this is a common question since i searched & find the half of my response & need the other half.

MDE : i have an mde file, which its mdb is corrupted -though ihad 2 copies-, i still have the table structures in my papers & so for most of
    the important queries, but what about the forms , reports & macros??
    i can read the name but i just don't want to rebuild them, so any help?
    I made the permissions & now i'm not authorized , funny no?
    pls help ..me ASAP.
    btw i tried mdex.mde in order to extract the forms & macros, but it turned out that i'm not allowed. :-)

How can i open this kind of DBS in exclusive mode ?? I JUST NEED THE FORMS & MODULES !!!!!!

- Jinan74

how?

I need a help pls

mde file
    Attached Files Attached Files

http://www.everythingaccess.com/mdeconversion.htm
    NOTE the requirement to prove that you have the legal right to do this.

whilst you are visiting their site, also look at:
    http://www.everythingaccess.com/acce...baserepair.htm

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I've uploaded the file there.
    Thank you.

But I dont know the result will be...

PLEASE let us know how it goes.

their web site claims they are good.
    one of their people has provided some excellent suggestions here.
    but personally i have not tried their service.

i would like to know how it goes for you in case i ever forget to make enough backups.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

The demo result shows tables and forms have been recovered,but the most important VBAs lost......

Any one their who can help me.....TIA

I don't know of anyone (including professional companies which do this) that can recover all the vba code within an mde. I know small bits and pieces can "possibly" be recovered but not all of the vba code.

Best you'll get is tables (queries) and possibly forms/reports.

Good luck.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by kuhasu
    The demo result shows tables and forms have been recovered,but the most important VBAs lost......

Any one their who can help me.....TIA
    That's because you used the wrong service on our site. You used our database repair service to try to recover the file, but it is not possible for a normal "recovery" of an MDE file, since VBA code cannot be "recovered" as such.

In order to get back the VBA code, it needs to be reverse engineered, and yes it is possible and it is a service that we provide.

You need to enquire about our MDE Conversion service on our site and we will get in touch with you and provide a free quote. Note that you will be required to prove lawful ownership of intellectual property and copyright of your file.

Wayne Phillips
    http://www.everythingaccess.com