Unanswered: MSAccess Security and sending updates to the field.

My database is done and user level secured with its own .mdw
    The problem is when I send updates to the users new items get exported as the current owner. I need to keep the original owner in the Admins area not the user. If there was a way that a user can bring up the update.mdb and the opening form load procedure could change the logged in user to a Admins user, it would work. The UserName property says "Sets or returns a value that represents a user". I can return the UserName and many other things but can't change the UserName.
    Simply put I need to keep the updates secure without a full release.
    Last edited by rcwiley; 05-07-02 at 18:28.

In MS Access 97 this can be done as:

Set oAppMainMan = CreateObject("Access.Application.8")
    oAppMainMan.Visible = blnTrue
    oAppMainMan.UserControl = blnTrue
    oAppMainMan.Application.DoCmd.SetWarnings (blnTrue)

oAppMainMan.DBEngine.SystemDB = strPath & strNameMDW
    oAppMainMan.Application.DBEngine.DefaultUser = "ADMINLOGINID"
    oAppMainMan.Application.DBEngine.DefaultPassword = "ADMINPASSWORD"

oAppMainMan.Application.OpenCurrentDatabase strMainDBPath

This will open the database and then you have the conrtol from the oAPP conrtol.

I am not sure about 2000, give it a shot.
    Last edited by xzone; 05-07-02 at 07:45.

Unhappy Almost but still not working secured

Xzone;

I see what you tried to do and it looked good utill ....SystemDB = strpath & strNameMDW. I'm sure the path and name are correct BUT it still referances the system.mdw not the one required for the database opened. I tried several variations of the same with the same results. The type of action you recommended seems to be more like a double DB to handle one Upgrade DB. One Unsecured DB that leads to the Secured DB.

Let me try to explain it this way. The secure DB is being used on multible single user settings. Upadtes/Upgrades are sent out by e-mail. The Secure DB uses its own .MDW with only three users, Admin only as a user (no Pwd) and limited use, and two Secure IDs that are Admins with full permision. This way, even if normal user double click the DB name they will be able to run the secured or any other DB they want as Admin by default.

The trouble is any exports from the upgrade to the secure won't keep the orginal owners ID. This gives the limited Admin full access since Admin is the new owner.

I could continue the updates to change the permissions to everything updates but that runs into trouble also. More so when I add a new field to the DB that is in place. Admin is not allowed to Design.

I may just be caught in the MS trap.

Thanks RCWiley

Update
    I GOT IT!!! Its all to simple.

The updates DB now has a Update user that is almost Admins. Admin user has no permissions in the Update DB. The normal Admins users are the same as in the Main DB. The Update user in the Main DB has minimum permissions and a secure PWD. The transfers still go with update user as the new owner. If any body could figure out the PWD there is no modify design allowed only read.

Thanks you got me off the dead end and thinking again!!!!

RCWiley
    Last edited by rcwiley; 05-07-02 at 23:46.

Wiley,

Were you able to work on with the system or not, since there seemed to be two updates on the message.

TIA,
    Xzone