Unanswered: Return Codes for Sybase BCP

Hi guys
    I was wondering if you could help me.
    I have been trying to do some test relating to BCP.
    I have been trying to BCP into a database table some data (484 rows) from a data file.
    I have manipulated 2 rows from this data file in order to fail the BCP process. The BCP process bulk copies 482 rows into the table as expected.

How can I determine the return code for this BCP process I had executed ? Does BCP return any return code despite finding bad data along the way as I have explained above ?

I have been developing a Perl program to determine this return code and it always return me zero value. I am assuming zero value means the BCP was successful. Is this correct ?

I would be most grateful for any advice
    Many thanks

Lexington, KY
    I am not sure if it returns an error code, check the documentation here:;pt=1806?target=%25N%15_10086_START_RESTART_N%25

Your most reliable bet would be to read the error log it creates:;pt=6057#X

Thumbs up Re: Return Codes for Sybase BCP

U can use Unix scripts for your above query.
    This is how you can do this:

bcp .... > outputfile
    egrep a word from output file that you see when 2 rows are not copied to the Sybase server. If you find an occurrence of this word more than once, raise a unix error and stop your processes by returning this raised error value.

If the above logic is not clear, let me know and I will put the exact syntax in this discussion forum.
    Last edited by rayvid123; 05-19-02 at 11:51.

How can I return status when import success? any parameter can be used? or work around provide for me ?

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, Sybase made one big mistake (for unix people) in the beginning and they have never corrected it. None of the utilities follow the unix standard and return a proper (non-zero or negative) return code upon error.

The correct way to find out if (a) bcp failed or (b) some number of rows failed to be inserted is
    1 check the bcp error log (text output). The minimum is to grep it for "^Msg" and "error". My bcp scripts use 3 grep pattern files (error; exception and non-error msgs I want to pick up).
    2 Use the error_file option "-e my_failed_rows.txt". bcp will store the failed rows in it. Count (wc) the lines and you're home and hosed.
    3 My bcp scripts use a plain text control file that stores info such as original bcp-out rowcount per partition, etc. I generate the same after the bcp-in; and then diff the two control files. That may be overkill for most people, but my scripts are commercial products.

But, hang on a minute. If you are using perl, you do not have to do all this (the above is correct for shell scripts), because perl has a beautiful and complete interface with Sybase. Look for DB-Library or CT-Library, IIRC it is called sybperl. Not only can you run all your SQL commands directly from perl via a dbhandle (far superior to scripting an isql session), you can use the bulk-copy facility (bcp interface) and insert at bcp speeds. And get errors thrown in perl, direct to your errohandle. Eliminates the need to run bcp via a shell script or perl.
    Last edited by Derek Asirvadem; 11-09-09 at 10:30. Reason: Larry Wall Rules !
    Derek Asirvadem (Formerly DerekA)
    Information Architect / Senior Sybase DBA
    Copyright 2009 Software Gems Pty Ltd

I answer questions from the Original Poster only. If you have a genuine question, as the moderators have requested, start a new thread.