Unanswered:

Hello out there!
    This is my first time in this group so ... be gentle to a newbie!!

Ok, here is the thing: I have an RS/6000 machine with AIX 4.3.3 OS. On this machine there is DB2 Ver. 6 installed. I was assigned the task to install DB2 UDB EE Ver 7.2.
    The installation went through successfully except that DAS of Ver 7.2 could not be started because there was already DAS of Ver 6 running.

My 2nd question is: Can I use one DAS (lets say of Ver 7.2) to administer both databases?

My 2nd question is: What would have been the result of installing DAS Ver 7.2 over DAS Ver 6? Now I have two different instances

and

My 3rd question is: What will be the result if Ver 6 will be upgraded to Ver 7? Will that result into a big mess?

Thank you for keeping up until the end!

Regards

For question 1,
    You can have only one version of DAS running on a server becuase DB2 does not allow you to change the port number for DAS.

For question 2,
    DAS can administer instances/databases which are at the same version as it is. In other words, a version 6 DAS can be used to administer instances on version 6 and cannot be used for version 7 instances

For question 3,

Since you already have version 7 installed on the machine, I think all you need to do is backup version 6 databases and restore it under version 7 instance.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by demisco
    Hello out there!
    This is my first time in this group so ... be gentle to a newbie!!

Ok, here is the thing: I have an RS/6000 machine with AIX 4.3.3 OS. On this machine there is DB2 Ver. 6 installed. I was assigned the task to install DB2 UDB EE Ver 7.2.
    The installation went through successfully except that DAS of Ver 7.2 could not be started because there was already DAS of Ver 6 running.

My 2nd question is: Can I use one DAS (lets say of Ver 7.2) to administer both databases?

My 2nd question is: What would have been the result of installing DAS Ver 7.2 over DAS Ver 6? Now I have two different instances

and

My 3rd question is: What will be the result if Ver 6 will be upgraded to Ver 7? Will that result into a big mess?

Thank you for keeping up until the end!

Regards

Ok, that is a good idea!
    Now, let us say I backup the database of Ver 6, can I restore it in a different instance of which I have on Ver 7?
    If it can be done can somebody give a hint on how to do it?

Thank you very much

If you restore V6 database to V7, DB2 will automatically migrate the database for you.

I'd suggest you to read the Quick Beginnings V7 for your platform and Appendix C & Appendix D in the Administration Guide - Planning (V7) before you do anything.

Originally posted by demisco
    Ok, that is a good idea!
    Now, let us say I backup the database of Ver 6, can I restore it in a different instance of which I have on Ver 7?
    If it can be done can somebody give a hint on how to do it?

Thank you very much